Please just tell me what to purchase for backpacking in the mountains

Judy Ann

I live by REI and need to get a pad and bag so I can graduate from car camping and spend more time in the Smokies. I need gear that can be used at higher altitudes (Rockies, Tetons) and can last a minimum of 200 bag nights. I'm hoping to get very light, compressible equipment so I can grow old with some items!

I'm a side sleeper and I need comfort plus high r value pad. I would like to be able to use both in either a tent or a hammock.

Thank you all for your assistance!

Judy

ponderosa

IMO, the warmest and comfiest backpacking mat is this:
Exped DownMat 7 Air Pad with Pump - Free Shipping at REI.com

It was comfy enough to keep me happy when I was very pregnant. I'm a very cold sleeper, but I can use this 4 seasons in the Rockies and stay warm at night- amazing! It isn't the lightest mattress, and it is spendy, but I really love it.

If you need something lighter and less expensive, Big Agnes makes sythentic-insulated air pads that are very comfy, but not quite as warm as the down mats:
Big Agnes Sand Mountain Sleeping Pad - Regular - Special Buy - Free Shipping at REI-OUTLET.com
My husband has been using a big agnes and likes it very much. He sleeps warm, so down would be overkill for him.

If I were shopping REI for a sleeping bag today, I'd get one of these, depending on the temp rating you want, and budget:

from REI.com

The primary advantages of a higher-rated grade of down (800 fill vs 600) is increased compressibility and warmth to weight ratio. Down is virtually always going to be warmer and more compressible than synthetic fill at the same weight, and a down bag will last much longer as well. Some people still prefer synthetic because down is miserable when wet and takes a long time to dry. IMO, wet synthetic is not a lot of fun either, so just be sure to have a good shelter and pack carefully so your bag stays dry.

Judy Ann

Thanks for your post Ponderosa. I could not remember the pad that you had mentioned in the past few months, but was interested in something similar. Would you recommend a down bag in addition to this pad? I have allowed for 1 year of serious attempts to prepare for some dream trips i.e. to your neck of the woods and to South America and the Inca Trail. My budget does not allow for incremential degrees in sleeping bags so I'm hoping for some overlap in temps.

If you find yourself on the East Coast please look me up!

Thank you,

Judy Ann

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I've been using the NeoAir for a year or so and really like it. I think the newer model has a much higher R value but the regular one has been fine for 3 season camping. I spend most nights in the hammock and it works fine in there. Just don't inflate it completely full. Very light and packs small.

I don't think you can get a bag to meet your requirements. In the Smokies you will want a warmer bag than out west. I use a 40 REI Halo most of the time. I have a Kelty Light Year 20 I use occasionally. I like the REI bag and would get another. The Kelty is good for the money ($100) but the REI is a better bag (zipper doesn't snag, etc). If I was going to buy something for out west I would look at a 0 bag. What ever you decide you will want down. It packs small and is really warm for the weight. This is probably more important as you look at the really cold weather bags. You might get by with a synthetic in a warmer bag. I have about 40 nights in the REI bag and it shows no wear at all.

Give me a shout when head this way and I'll help you find some great spots in the Smokies. Each season brings a new "don't miss this" and you might not always find that in the guides.

Judy Ann

I've been using the NeoAir for a year or so and really like it. I think the newer model has a much higher R value but the regular one has been fine for 3 season camping. I spend most nights in the hammock and it works fine in there. Just don't inflate it completely full. Very light and packs small.

I don't think you can get a bag to meet your requirements. In the Smokies you will want a warmer bag than out west. I use a 40 REI Halo most of the time. I have a Kelty Light Year 20 I use occasionally. I like the REI bag and would get another. The Kelty is good for the money ($100) but the REI is a better bag (zipper doesn't snag, etc). If I was going to buy something for out west I would look at a 0 bag. What ever you decide you will want down. It packs small and is really warm for the weight. This is probably more important as you look at the really cold weather bags. You might get by with a synthetic in a warmer bag. I have about 40 nights in the REI bag and it shows no wear at all.

Give me a shout when head this way and I'll help you find some great spots in the
Smokies. Each season brings a new "don't miss this" and you might not always f
in the guides.
Thank you Patsy. I'm getting prepared to head in your direction later this spring for my first solo adventure backpacking. I'm bringing all my gear to FL for fine tuning. I've booked #17 for 5 nights so feel free to park there when you get in. I am bringing the hammock in addition to my backpacking tent. I'll pitch my canvas tent for anyone needing basecamp options that weekend.

I'm looking forward to meeting you,
Judy

Grandpa

For sleeping bags in the west, most of my crowd go with at least a 20 degree. I narrowed my choices to Marmot Helium 15, Mt Hardware Phantom 15, or Western Mountaineering 15, all down bags and all about 2 lbs. With these bags you are comfortable 3 seasons and can wear more clothes or add a fleece liner for colder temps.The turtle uses a Western Mteering 30 but she wears a lot of clothes when she comes west. There are other great bags out there as well. I made my choices based on availability in my area. I would have to go out of state or travel 400 miles in state to get to REI. I haven't upgraded my pad yet. I'm still happy with my BA insulated air core in the summer (1lb) or my old trail comfort thermarest in colder weather.

charley

By live by rei do you mean there is an rei near where you live?
I think you would be happy with one of the down mats like the exped. I would look at campmor and backcountry.com too. For backpacking out west, I think you would be happy with good quality down in a bag. I'm not sure about down in the smokies cause it's so humid there. I have been using a quilt instead of a bag for years, even in a tent with a pad. You can check on good down topquilts at hammock forums. You can use a quilt on the ground or a bag in a hammock. I have a number of top and under quilts that I use in combinations depending on the weather. I should be stopping in chapel hill the first of the year for awhile. Maybe I can show you my hammock and quilts. I can sleep in comfort from 60 down to the teens. A cheap blue ccf pad can add a few degrees of warmth on the ground or in a hammock.

Grandpa

And a thought on hammocks Judy. So much hiking here is above timberline or in treeless canyons. A hammock really limits your range. If you know you'll be camping in the timber all the time they are fine.

Judy Ann

Thank you everyone for the input on gear to cover 3 seasons across the continent. I may be slow as a turtle to reach my goal of 2 nights solo in the Smokies by June, but it is important to me to "hell or high water" reach that goal. Your input and advice means more than you could imagine. Please contact me whenever you are in the Raleigh/Durham area!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Judy

ponderosa

Thanks for your post Ponderosa. I could not remember the pad that you had mentioned in the past few months, but was interested in something similar. Would you recommend a down bag in addition to this pad? I have allowed for 1 year of serious attempts to prepare for some dream trips i.e. to your neck of the woods and to South America and the Inca Trail. My budget does not allow for incremential degrees in sleeping bags so I'm hoping for some overlap in temps.

If you find yourself on the East Coast please look me up!

Thank you,

Judy Ann
I like down bags, especially if compressability and long term durability are high priorities. For this area, I use a 20 degree bag spring through fall. I think it's a good versatile option by using the zippers and seasonal clothing layers. We went to Hawaii a couple of years ago, and I used my 20 degree down bag, because it's what I had. I was able to make it work by opening zippers all the way, using it like a blanket, sticking a leg out if I was too warm, etc. It wasn't ideal, but OK for a week. Another option for you might be to buy a bag more suited to your milder climate, and rent a warmer bag for your big trips.
We'd like to visit the national parks on the eastern side of the country, so maybe we'll meet up someday, in your neck of the woods or mine.

Lamebeaver

I'm a big fan of Big Agnes pads and bags. The bags have a pouch that you slide the air mattress in. That way you don't slip off.

briansnat

Platnium Member
One consideration, I've found that the thicker inflatable sleeping pads that several here have mentioned are great for sleeping on the ground but very hard to keep in place if you are sleeping in a hammock. I've found the old fashioned "self inflating" Thermarest pads work far better in a hammock, but even better than that is closed cell foam.

Closed cell foam is cheap enough so you can always buy a good inflatable like the Big Agnes, NeoAir or Exped DownMat for tenting and a length of closed cell foam for use in a hammock.

I assume you will be camping in the Smokies far more often than the Rockies so you might want to go a bit warmer with your sleeping bag. No point in carrying around extra weight on all of your trips just for what might only be a few trips to the Rockies a year.

A 30 or 40 degree bag should suffice for 3 season camping in the Smokies. If you are a warmer sleeper get the 40 degree bag, go colder if you are a colder sleeper.

You can always add an overbag for trips to the Rockies. The overbags (depending on model) will add 15-25 degrees of warmth to your regular bag. Another advantage is that you can use the overbags alone in the hottest part of the summer when a 30 degree bag would be overkill.

Judy Ann

I'm glad to hear that the neoair pad and a closed cell pad will work in both the tent and the hammock. I try to have most everything multitask if possible. New toys to play with. I got a down bag on sale so I'm set for winter adventures!

Judy Ann

Thanks for the advice and everyone was spot on. My gear works great for what I need it to and I will need to upgrade for higher altitudes. Now for a great 2 person 4 season used tent!