Potato soup recipe

southerngal

Do any of you guys have a really great recipe for potato soup? I am having some issues with my jaw and need to go on a soft diet for a few days. My grandmother always used to make me potato soup as a kid, but sadly I never got her recipe.

dinosaur

troublemaker
My Italian grandmother used to make a potato soup I have successfully duplicated. Peel potatoes and cut them into 3/4 inch cubes. Boil them, drain and rinse. Cook an equal amount of macaroni shells, drain and rinse. Combine these two in water, add a can of peas and enough tomato sauce to create a tomato broth. Season to taste. It's excellent.

Now that's interesting! I never would have thought to try a tomato broth with potatoes.

The way my mother taught me to make potato soup was fairly simple. It isn't quite from scratch, but it gets the job done.

-6-7 red potatoes, peeled and diced
-1 can cream of herb
-3-4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
-1 bunch green onions, sliced

First, boil the potatoes. Cook through and drain. Mash half the potatoes. Combine the mashed potatoes, diced potatoes, cream of herb, and the broth. Some people like milk, I prefer broth as it adds more flavor. Go slowly until the soup reaches the desired consistency. Garnish with green onion.

Some good additions: carrot sticks, bacon, and shallots.

ponderosa

Dice some onions and celery, and cook in butter until translucent. Add some garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add diced potatoes (red or yukon gold with the skins on is my favorite) and barely cover with salted water or chicken broth. Cover and simmer about ten minutes. When the taters are tender, add whatever combination of milk/half & half/cream that you like. I always use at least a little heavy cream...it makes all the difference. You can thicken it a little if you want. Use a slurry of 1/4 cup cold water and a few tablespoons of cornstarch, or stir in some instant potato flakes, or just mash up some of the potatoes in the soup pot. Season with salt/pepper and maybe some basil and certainly some fresh parsley if you have it. I sometimes use some celery seed. It's delicious as is, or you could add all kinds of things...cheese, diced ham or crumbled bacon, frozen green peas, carrots (added with the potatoes). For clam chowder, replace the chicken broth with clam juice and add lots of clams at the end (don't use basil for clam chowder, just parsley).

carmen

I love a good potato soup and it is one of those meals that you can mix and match to find what you like the best. Sometimes I like to add a little bacon or sour cream in just for kicks.

southerngal

Ponderosa I already made yours and it was delicious! Blueridge and Dinosaur I am going to be trying your recipes too. Even though potatoes aren't as cheap as they used to be they still make a filling and fairly inexpensive meal.