Poured like Niagara Falls

Northern Dancer

Our environmental agency posted a warning about high winds that we could expect today. They came at the precise time forecasted. They have been howling and growling since early afternoon and are just now beginning to settle down. I checked my Alaknak that is resting on a platform on the property anxious that the stack might be blown over. The unit is as steady as a rock.

Interestingly enough I recall all the storms that I've been caught in - because I do a lot of journaling when I'm out. I still do that in spite of the opportunities to take excellent photographs or use a video camera. I remember on one occasion I purchased the latest tent design. It was a large dome tent with fiberglass poles with a new ultra waterproof coating. I had a tent platform set up at Gaunt's Bay in the Muskokas. I called the place "Wolves Gate" that I rented dirt cheap for a number of years from a guy who didn't come up much to use his cabin near the site.

Anyway - in the early night I noted that things had become strangely quiet. There was nothing. No sound, no wind - just dead silence and black dark. From nowhere it seemed, the crashing and smashing and the thunder and the lightning just smacked that tent like it was a boxer's speed bag. I was on a mini cot and the walls of the tent came right down with every punch of wind and hit my face. It was damn dark accept for the sudden explosive light ups as the lightning cracked above. It soon became quiet again and then it poured down on top of me like Niagara Falls. After that, it became quiet again. I was dry and relieved and tired. So I went to sleep.

2913 Niagara Falls at Night [Ontario side]