Power Tools

Barney

Not exactly a bushcraft related question but it's at least about tools. :) I want to equip my garage with power tools. What tools would you buy first?

texan4ut

I guess that would depend on what type of work. Woodworking, automotive, welding, gardening, etc. For wood working, my tables saw, and my mitre saw are what I use a lot. I various tools for various things as in too many hobbies:tinysmile_hmm_t:

oldsarge

I guess that would depend on what type of work. Woodworking, automotive, welding, gardening, etc. For wood working, my tables saw, and my mitre saw are what I use a lot. I various tools for various things as in too many hobbies:tinysmile_hmm_t:
I agree, It all depends on what you may think you'll need and the frequency of use.

wvbreamfisherman

For woodworking: Table saw, power miter saw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, drill press, maybe a wood lathe if you're in to wood turning.

Metal working: drill press, lathe, milling machine, bandsaw, oxyacetylene torch or plasma cutter, forge and anvil, possibly a metal brake, mig/tig/stick welder.

ppine

Forester
WV has a nice list, but I don't think it is a place to start.
I think the answer to the poster's question is more like a drill, jig saw, circular saw, grinder, orbital sander, and belt sander. Maybe a Sawsall.

Hand tools are very rewarding if you are not in a hurry or trying to make money. One great project for hand tools is a canoe paddle.

Last edited:

Grandpa

I second the drill as #1. Circular saw as #2. usage will determine where you go next but these two items are basic to every hobby.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
As a professional cabinetmaker, I have to agree whole heartedly with ppine, but I'd make the drill an 18 volt "cordless".
I would add a power mitre saw, preferably a sliding compound mitre saw, though they are more expensive. And if possible get the appropriate saw stand that features some kind of "stop system" for repeated "same length" cutting. I'd also add a biscuit joiner or at least a Krieg Jig.

All of this assumes that you already have a decent woodworking hand tool kit as that truly is where you should start.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

As a professional cabinetmaker, I have to agree whole heartedly with ppine, but I'd make the drill an 18 volt "cordless".
I would add a power mitre saw, preferably a sliding compound mitre saw, though they are more expensive. And if possible get the appropriate saw stand that features some kind of "stop system" for repeated "same length" cutting. I'd also add a biscuit joiner or at least a Krieg Jig.

All of this assumes that you already have a decent woodworking hand tool kit as that truly is where you should start.
I definitely agree about the hand tools! There is nothing that teaches you more about working with wood, than using hand tools to cut and shape it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like Grandpa's post too. A drill is first then a circular saw. Next is a reciprocating saw. They are very handy where you can't use the circular. Next is a jigsaw. Next is a good bench grinder. After that you might want to look into a drill press for that drill, then a router and a router table. Once you get good with the router table, get yourself a table saw. Possibly prior to the router, you may want to get a grinder, disk sander, a recip sander and a belt sander. The only other tool I can highly recommend is a Roto-Zip. It does the work of a drill, a router, a jigsaw, even a recip saw if you have a little patience.

I'm a bowyer and I've used all of these tools for a long time. I also have a compressor and a large list of air tools including nail guns, air grinders and sand blasting equipment that have made my life a lot easier over the years.

Tell me what you've got so far and what you intend to do for your next project. I'll tell you what you need. PM me. If I see it, I'd be more than happy to help you out.

ppine

Forester
A word about battery powered tools. I grew up with power tools that come with a cord. I have an old drill made by Black and Decker that cost $12 new in about 1974 that works fine. I used it for commercial electrical work for several years.

The batteries on even 18 volt power tools wear out. The old Makita 14v is not even worth buying batteries for and will go in the landfill. The more recent purchase an 18v Rigid drill that is about 5 years old, has two bad batteries. New batteries cost $150 because the charger has changed. They have less run time than the original. A super duper new drill, with hammerdrill, 2 higher powered batteries and a charger costs $200. The smart move is to spend $200 and now I have two drills. Meanwhile the $12 corded drill still works fine. Are we going forward or backward? You tell me.

Grandpa

Cordless are fine for a small project but give me corded any time. In fact, I would rather invest in hand tools rather than battery powered.

oldsarge

A word about battery powered tools. I grew up with power tools that come with a cord. I have an old drill made by Black and Decker that cost $12 new in about 1974 that works fine. I used it for commercial electrical work for several years.

The batteries on even 18 volt power tools wear out. The old Makita 14v is not even worth buying batteries for and will go in the landfill. The more recent purchase an 18v Rigid drill that is about 5 years old, has two bad batteries. New batteries cost $150 because the charger has changed. They have less run time than the original. A super duper new drill, with hammerdrill, 2 higher powered batteries and a charger costs $200. The smart move is to spend $200 and now I have two drills. Meanwhile the $12 corded drill still works fine. Are we going forward or backward? You tell me.
Unless you use cordless drills daily, they're a pain in the arse. I was given a nice combo set of cordless tools, every time I needed to do something, I had to make sure the batteries were charged. Screw that! Give me a drill or any power tool with a cord and I'm happy. Plug it in, get the job done and go have a beer!

ppine

Forester
If you use cordless tools everyday, you are guaranteed to wear out the batteries pretty fast.

Cordless tools are sort of like drugs. Buying them is relatively cheap (free drugs at first), but the batteries to keep them going are expensive.

CozInCowtown

Not exactly a bushcraft related question but it's at least about tools. :) I want to equip my garage with power tools. What tools would you buy first?
Flea Markets!!
I bought a "like new-used once" Craftsman Professional router table this weekend for $60. Probably would cost me $300 at Sears new.
Just be patient and shop around.
DC

Grandpa

Flea Markets!!
I bought a "like new-used once" Craftsman Professional router table this weekend for $60. Probably would cost me $300 at Sears new.
Just be patient and shop around.
DC
In a like vein as this, son called this weekend. A coworker with money problems sold him an 8 gallon 160 psi air compressor, hoses, a brad gun, and an air drill for $100. There are bargains out there. As Coz said, be patient.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Cordless tools are sort of like drugs. Buying them is relatively cheap (free drugs at first), but the batteries to keep them going are expensive.
Well, you're right about that although I wouldn't know anything about the drugs. What I did thirteen years ago was buy a 12 volt drill, wore the batteries out over about two years, took a piece of hickory and carved it to the same shape as the shank on the battery, drilled some holes in it to pass the wiring, put some brass shims in place to match the connections on the battery, and since my cabin is solar powered and runs on 12 volts except for the inverted power to 120 volts, I have a battery that, during the day, does not run out. I can take it anywhere I can drive my 4X4 and it works like a charm. It's chorded but it's transportable. and I don't need a generator.

So far I haven't needed a recip saw or a circular saw far off of my power supply but a drill does seem to come in handy and if the need arises, although I do have a 5000 Watt generator, I might just do the same with some other 12 volt toys.

Just another idea from a crazy old coot with a penchant for fun.

Newanderthal

depends on the kind of work you'll be doing. If you're getting into woodworking, I'd start with a drill and a jig saw. There's a lot you can do with just those.

Of course, if you're looking at automotive work, those tools would be worthless.

Honestly, get a book with some various projects you'd like to try and see what tools are needed and start there. Buy more as you need until your wife tells you to stop. Then buy them when she's not around and find a clever place to hide them.

wvbreamfisherman

If you are into woodworking I would suggest this tool.

Shopsmith Mark 7 and Mark V

If you like metalworking try one of these.

Grizzly.com® -- Product Categories
The all-in-one stuff is pretty handy, especially for a smaller shop. Sometimes you can get separate tools pretty cheaply, and you don't have to spend time resetting the machine to different functions.

I've done a lot of woodworking with just hand tools, except for a table saw (yard sale $30, a saber saw, a 3/8inch corded drill, an orbital sander, and a combo belt/disc sander I picked up for $20 at a yard sale.

Generally power tools just let you do things quicker and (sometimes) more accurately than hand tools. With a little ingenuity , you can tackle pretty big jobs with hand tools.