Proverbial First Aid Kit

Northern Dancer

3934 THE PROVERBIAL FIRST AID KIT

Do you carry a first aid kit?
For what you might have to do, will it do the job?
Do you know how to use it?
Do you have the rudimentary skills to accomplish the task?

There was a time I didn't think about carrying a first aid kit, I mean, what was the point of that?
The reality is, like every other outdoor skill, there comes a time when you suddenly realize that it is important to have. I never carried one for the longest time because I really didn't believe that anything would happen. The other obstacle that I needed to deal with is the cost of first aid kits and what you get in them; I thought they were an item I didn't need.

But I learned.
Instead of buying one - because no one had all the items I thought should be in a kit, I made my own. I did however purchase containers based on what I would be doing and how many people were in the group. For a while, when I was in a base camp I made a kit accessible to others in the immediate area. Now I just post a sign that I have one on-site.

I have all the usual stuff - different-size band-aids, butterfly strips, eye patches, adhesive tape, elastic bandages, antiseptic wipes, triangular bandages, safety pins, disposable instant cold packs, a thermometer, antiseptic solution, a sewing needle, tweezers and a pair of scissors that could actually cut [not the kiddie kind].

It's a different world so I now have these on board too. Tick remover, acetaminophen,
ibuprofen, plastic non-latex gloves, a mouthpiece for administering CPR., and any other item that is required. [For example, there are only two places in this country that have poisonous snakes. So I don't carry a snake kit unless I'm in snake country.]

If there is a group - we have a medical record of everyone on the trip and any and all medical conditions, including medications and contact information. Nothing like learning a youth is susceptible to seizures when you are four miles away from your starting point.

I have a small essential first aid chart AND if there is a group they get an essential first aid course. [Cuts and burns would be part of that.] All kits, even when I'm solo, are checked to make sure everything is up to date and working before they are packed.

What's missing from the list? What sort of things might you include?

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
The most used items in my kit have been Vetwrap (4") ace bandage for animals (comes in colors); for sprains etc...and they are cheap enough to give away (got the last batch from the equine section of petsmart)
and Providone (spelling?) -iodine solution; it actually works... (wally mart)
I normally also carry Duct tape (re-roll a film can sized roll of high quality (3M) duct tape from a larger roll).
In my experience Zee brand band fabric band aids beat all other brands hands down....hard to find though.

Enjoy!

Northern Dancer

The most used items in my kit have been Vetwrap (4") ace bandage for animals (comes in colors); for sprains etc...and they are cheap enough to give away (got the last batch from the equine section of petsmart)
and Providone (spelling?) -iodine solution; it actually works... (wally mart)
I normally also carry Duct tape (re-roll a film can sized roll of high quality (3M) duct tape from a larger roll).
In my experience Zee brand band fabric band aids beat all other brands hands down....hard to find though.

Enjoy!
----->There you are...I was wondering where you were at. Yes, duct tape - a good thing to have for lots of reasons. Like patching a hole in the bottom of your canoe. :Smile2:

ppine

Forester
First aid kits are fine. Mostly I use mole skin, a back brace and ace bandages. For anything serious your little first aid kit will not help much.
It is good to carry some serious pain pills like Percocet, stomach relief, etc.

Our main responsibility in the wild is to not get hurt in the first place. Be extra cautious. Help is a long way off. You nay not have phone reception. I have been hurt only once really bad, getting bucked off my mule in eastern Oregon. I broke my femur in the saddle and it took all day to get to a hospital in Bend.

Northern Dancer

The comment you made "Pine" about the"little first aid kit" is true - I suppose that was my rationale for not buying the same.

What to do? I took my First Aid Instructors and qualified to instruct. I further improved on my qualification by taking "wilderness models" and paying more attention to health and safety - especially when tripping. I agree whole heartily, "Our main responsibility in the wild is not to get hurt." I start with self first and then there is the group to consider. We always had a "safety officer" appointed for any of our interior trips to keep us in line. But things happened, but thankfully, nothing we couldn't handle.