Revisiting Knots

Roybrew

I was reading older posts on knot, and thought I'd dig it up again. I've learned 2 basic knots, bow line and truckers hitch, and these two knots I use quite frequently for hauling lumber and my canoes. But I have need for another knot, the taught line hitchtautline-hitch~2.jpgIMG_20230111_020831204_HDR.jpg. It won't be long till I'll be a camping, and that usually requires a knot I can adjust with out untying. I took a length of cord to work last night and practiced.IMG_20230111_020804847.jpg I forgot and left it tied to the eye bolt. I hope no one throws it away.

The Great Outdoors

ppine

Forester
Knots help. Anyone that spends time in the outdoors needs to know a few. Bowline, two half hitches, clove hitch. Trucker's hitch is the best way to secure boats. Being a boy scout helps. Packing mules taught me a lot about how to handle rope.

Roybrew

I seldom mention the half hitch, don't know why, I guess it just seems like such a basic knot. After I tie the first half hitch, at the end of the truckers hitch, I'll then tie a half hitch with a slippery end so it's easier to untie when I need to.

I need to practice on the clove hitch. I've never tried one before. From what I've read the clove hitch is what climbers use for a personal anchor knot. I don't know if I could trust that. Seems like if given some slack it could loosen up? Just my thoughts. But I think it would be most beneficial, for tied on a tent stake or a tree stob where a limb has been broken or cut off. Practice practice. If I don't use it I'll forget how to tie one, and I'll forget what situation would advantageous from using it.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Here's a clove hitch on a biteIMG_20230114_212336631.jpg not as pretty as the book, but it does hold very well. It doesn't matter which end I pull on it bites down hard.

This is a clove hitch not on a bite.
IMG_20230114_213436984.jpg holds pretty good. I don't think I would trust either one enough to hang on it.
Just my thought.
Roy

The Great Outdoors