Road bike suggestions

Denicreg

Hi everyone! I'm currently thinking of buying a road bike for my commute to to work and college. As its my first road bike, im only experimenting so nothing too pricey... yet! I'm 6"2 and 18 years old, so does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really looking to spend under 500 as im a newbie! If not, any suggestions on websites,?

Northern Dancer

Hi "Denicreg", welcome.
I bought a bike three years ago to get me out of the chair and be more active. The reality is there are so many choices out there it was really difficult to select. So...what I recommend for these kinds of purchases is research and lots of it. Styles will depend upon what you are going to use it for and in what kind of environment. There are road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrid commuter bikes, cyclocross bikes, folding bikes, and so on. You might want to look at the hybrid commuter bikes first. Have fun doing this because it isn't 10-minute research. Check out the stocks of local stores and get a "look at"and read the pamphlets etc. And as I say, Always Buy on Sale. Read the consumer's reports and check with people you know who already have a bike. Oh, and another thing, I learned that body measurement/height is important when selecting a bike. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck. :Smile2:

Roybrew

Hello Denicreg, 6'2". Hmm your pretty tall. I would look at a hybrid 28". My wife and I have 26" 7 speeds. Nothing fancy, but serve us well. We got them from Walmart about 15 years ago. We look at the 28" hybrids at dept stores and wonder if it would be worth it. Our inexpensive bicycles serves us well and also have shock absorbers, they do help. I guess what I have to say is, I wouldn't blow a huge amount of money on one unless I was positive it was what I wanted. The hybrids I've seen were around 300.00 bucks. I don't see the advantage of blowing a huge amount of money, 500+, on one unless you are into bike racing or touring or something that requires a performance bike.
Do get a helmet tho. Those brain buckets can sure save the noodle.IMG_20220424_110815850.jpg
Roy

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

neboscott

I've just got a new Vilano Diverse 3.0 which is under 500 and love it many good reviews here and if u get the bug u can upgrade easily.
It's a hybrid bike that doesn’t break the bank and is ideal for the daily commute.

neboscott

I'll suggest to check this review here before take any decision. You need to compare all bike within your budget and then finally choose which one will buy.