Rock Throwing?

Gondor

I feel that is a lost art of our childhood. Nowadays kids can't find rocks anywhere to try and perfect this skill. I remember being very very good at it. How about you?

Barney

Great times with rock throwing! We had a blast with this skill. We even organized throwing wars but with wild berries. Just imagine how often my mother was annoyed with washing my clothes.

Cappy

I never was a rock chunker, but as far back as I can remember I was a sling shoter.:tinysmile_shy_t: I have killed rabbits, squirrels birds, ducks and countless number of tin cans:tinysmile_tongue_t: with a sling shot.

CozInCowtown

Just make sure the rocks are registered with the Federal Gubberment and are not considered "assault" rocks!!
Remember, these are dangerous weapons and should only be handled by highly trained professionals.
I bet you didn't realize the first recorded murder was committed with an assault rock with a silencer!!
DC

ponderosa

If you've a shortage of rocks, I invite you to come haul them out of my garden. Please. Take all you want; there will still be plenty for my kiddos I'm sure.

On a serious note, the maddest I've ever seen my dad was when some bozos were rolling big rocks downhill...when we were hiking on switchbacks a couple hundred feet below them. When our shouts didn't stop them, he made tracks up that mountainside faster than a mountain goat could have, and I'm quite sure those people never rolled a rock down a hill again. My grandma once happened upon an accident and provided first aid to a kid about 14 miles from the nearest dirt road. He had been hit in the head by a rock rolled from above by another kid in his scout troop. He died, and she got to hike out to find a ranger/deputy. So have fun chucking your rocks, but don't be stupid about it.

Grandpa

Every kid should have the opportunity to skip rocks on the water and every kid should be taught the dangers of rolling big rocks off the mountains. This is a common practice in the high sage mountains of the west during hunting season. The deer like to hide up in the sage and a rolling rock sometimes gets them up. That being said, I also had a big boulder just miss me and the culprits still turn red when they see me and 45 years later, they still apologize. Very dangerous when you can't see whats below and pointless because you also can't see the deer if any are there.

Hikenhunter

Never killed nothing living when chucking rocks but I could bust soda bottles, jars,cans and anything else I could find at the local dump. I can still do a 5 skipper on open water, sometimes.

Hikenhunter

I never was a rock chunker, but as far back as I can remember I was a sling shoter.:tinysmile_shy_t: I have killed rabbits, squirrels birds, ducks and countless number of tin cans:tinysmile_tongue_t: with a sling shot.
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I still shoot cans and stuff with my sling shot cept my sling shot these days is a real modern thing that uses medical tubing instead of innertubing and has a frame made of steel rod.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

ChadTower

Never killed nothing living when chucking rocks but I could bust soda bottles, jars,cans and anything else I could find at the local dump. I can still do a 5 skipper on open water, sometimes.

5? Keep working on it! People around here can do 5 on the ocean. 10-15 on flat water. :first:

BGreen

We used to try to skip stones across the water. I never got good at it, but it wasn't because I didn't give it a lot of effort. I envied those people on television who could do it so the stone bounced across the water.

ppine

Forester
Gondor,
Thanks for metioning this topic. We were all baseball players and threw rocks for hours. I still love to skip rocks but the right shoulder is kind of crunchy. The best skipping rocks are formed in shale beds or oyster shells are also very good also. As an adult I have enjoyed throwing rocks off the top of mountains at targets very far, as in 500 yards away. Great fun.

I used to work with a guy on the Navajo Res. One of his favorite sports was what he called "trundling." He liked to loosen really big rocks with a crowbar and knock them off cliffs. He was a nut but lots of fun. He knew where all the best stuff was located like dinosaur tracks and Anasazi artifacts.