Rothco Jungle Hammoc

carmen

I caught this while checking out some clearance deals and I love the idea that it has netting. When we camp during the warmer months we just need something like this and a blanket. Is anyone aware of one that does not have hunter colors though?

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Most hammock manufacturers make their hammocks in subdued colors as that's what most of their customers want so most are going to be "hunter" colors. i.e. OD greens and browns. Also, most don't come with an integrated bug net.

That Rothco hammock looks like a good deal for car camping. Most of the reviews I've read on them say they are decent quality, just too heavy for backpacking.

FYI: I own a Warbonnet Blackbird (my go to), an ENO Singlenest and a Hennessey Explorer that sort of comes and goes (it's the one loan out).

Cappy

Pretty sure I've posted this here somewhere before. I used army surplus jungle hammocks for years. As hamocks, as tents, and have packed them canoed with them car camped hunted etc. They have been around since ww2 and are really tried tested and true. A lil heavy by todays ultra light standards but soldiers been packing them for many years das a pretty good guide for me.
Buy Jungle Hammock at Army Surplus World

BigSur

I have never used this brand as we have had the old army ones as well. It does look pretty cool but oldsarge may be right about the quality. Let us know which one you are going with.

Woodland

That looks like a pretty cool hammock Carmen and I think it only comes in hunter colors to blend in with the surroundings when you're camping. Check on Amazon or eBay to see if they have any other types of camping hammocks.

Cappy

Truthfully the hammocks I had and used for years were canvas bottomed canvas top with mosquito netting sides. They were army surplus so I assumed they were the same in the add I aint sure how old the ones I had but they were surplus and at least Korean age or mabe ww2 I guess they musta gotten cheapiefied cause the 2 I had I used for lik3 20 years and they lasted well. I stored them in an ole duffle bag at our fish camp one year and it got flooded and that ended them. I apologize if the current version aint good any more or maybe its just since I aint a gear guy I aint ever had any better. I thought all hamocks sagged in the middle.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

oldsarge

It does look pretty cool but oldsarge may be right about the quality.
Not so much about quality. My old nylon one held up well. It's the whole concept of having it a sewn together. We tried so many ways of figuring out how to tie everything in place so when you get in the hammock, the weight of your body doesn't rip the top and sides apart. Initially, you can't set it up like the picture shows, you have to allow a great deal of slack in the sides to allow for when the Hammock drops. We found that you can pull the top tight enough to allow for good run off when it rains, but some people want the sides to be taught also. This isn't really necessary. Some believe that if the screened portion touches you, you will get eaten by bugs. I've never had that issue. The whole issue with this style tent is that I've seen people set these up as show in the ad, then get in and rip the nylon netting or pull some of the top securing loops loose. Overall it's not a bad design, but easy to damage if you don't think it out before hand.

I like this way much better. http://www.outdoorbasecamp.com/forum/f94/hammock-camping-10859/

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
The Rothco doesn't have the greatest reviews on Amazon,and I've had a few hammocks with the "fan" style ends like the Rothco and they aren't particularly stable. For stability, a "gathered end" hammock is superior.

Here is one that is similarly priced and has far better reviews. A friend of mine bought a nearly identical one on Woot.com for $25 and likes it a lot.

I love my Warbonnet Blackbird and heartily recommend it, but it's on the expensive side. I recommend starting with a cheaper, but decent hammock and if you like it, then splurging on something like a Blackbird.

Pathfinder1

Pretty sure I've posted this here somewhere before. I used army surplus jungle hammocks for years. As hamocks, as tents, and have packed them canoed with them car camped hunted etc. They have been around since ww2 and are really tried tested and true. A lil heavy by todays ultra light standards but soldiers been packing them for many years das a pretty good guide for me.
Buy Jungle Hammock at Army Surplus World

Hi...

It sure looks nice in the photo...wish I had one...!! The price didn't seem too bad, either.

Cappy

They worked very well for me and I was thinking bout getting another one my self out of curiosity. I have nothing but fond memories at this point. The way ya set up jungle hamocks is to set the ahmock right at belt high and loosely tie the top. if ya got a buddie only tie one end of the top. Get in the hammock shrug and snuggle down and swing for a minute or 2. this stretches the base out and settles it into sleep position. At that point get ya buddy to snug up the top or get out and take up a lil slack ya self. ya always wanna leave it a lil baggy never stretched tight. Another hint is to tie the top with kite string or something break away. So if ya do get it too tight or the bottom slips loose the top string will break and not rip the hammock. The top aint holdin no weight anyways. I used those things all of my youth and well into college. for some reason I just never got back into them so to speak.