RV adice

campermom

My husband and I have been looking at Rv's which we are novice at. I have been tent camping for the last 20 years. So far we know that we want between a 26 and 30 ft trailer with an outdoor kitchen. Is there anything in particular we should looking for? Or anything to stay away from? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ppine

Forester
You are talking about a pretty large and heavy rig. Do you have diesel to pull it with? Have you ever pulled a trailer that large before? You will not be able to fit in most campgrounds and will be stuck in RV parks. I would go smaller for a first time coach, especially for 2 people. Camping with more than 2 people is difficult for most people for longer than about 3 days. How many does it sleep is the question first timers always ask.

In the boat world it is the same. Six for drinks, 4 for dinner, and 2 for overnite. You need one real bed and that is it. Unless you are going to live in it for a month at a time you do not need a couch or extra bunks.

Mudslide

Wow, that is quite beastly for 2 people. We have a 25 footer for 4 people but only for sleeping in and rainy weather shelter and thats enough room. Otherwise we are sitting around the fire, hiking, etc. You really have to ask yourself if you want the space, or do you want the more private campsites. At least here where Im at the smaller the camper, the better the campsites.

But...If you guys are determined on that length, as with any other camper definitely look for water damage. there's 2 types of campers......those that leak and those that will. Look for soft floors and water stains on ceilings. Also check the caulking all around and the water systems. These bad boys are fun, but they require maintenance!!

CozInCowtown

Remember, it is not how much you can haul that is important but how much can you get STOPPED!!!
Make sure your power unit is large enough get that thing stopped efficiently and safely. 3/4 ton is good, 1 ton is a lot better!
I prefer a 5th wheel as the weight of the trailer hitch is properly placed above and in front of the rear axle instead of the bumper that lifts the front axle up and hinders steering.
Our 5th wheel is basically a camping cargo trailer with an A/C & heater and a dry comfortable place to go in bad weather.
Tents, camp stoves and campfires are used most of the time in my families outdoor misadventures.
Slideouts are nice but not essential.
DC

Last edited:

cabinfever

I thought RVs were complete units that you drive around, not trailers that attach to another vehicle? Someday, maybe when I retire, I've thought about getting an RV and just toodle around the country. It would be cool to be able to stop just about anywhere and see the sites, then take the house down the road to the next place.

Grandpa

At 6-8 miles per gallon versus 30 miles per gallon and $4 plus gas prices, motel to motel sounds better to me with a lot more versatility on the way.

Snuggles

I'm with you Grandpa. My brother owns a motor home. You know, one of those that has the king sized bed, sides that extend, kitchen, living room and full bath. I could live in that thing. However, he picks and chooses where he goes now with the gas prices. It "ain't" cheap to drive that thing.

Lorax

We have a little 16 ft pull behind that has a queen bed, a slide out dinette, and even a full bath.
Just the basics since it's the two of us. We do 90% of all our cooking outside and spend the days outside no matter what the weather. We're set up to "dry camp" with no supported water or electric and next year, I'm putting a 4" lift on it for more rugged terrain.

Light and fast, as efficient as it gets with a totally enclosed trailer and still like your outside camping.

ppine

Forester
I can get about 13-14 mpg pulling a 22 foot trailer with a Ford diesel. With a small trailer it is possible to camp anywhere, like a Nat For road or out in the desert. When we stop, we have our stuff. Things like blankets and quilts from home and our own cookware. I absolutely detest being in motels with crummy blankets, noisy neighbors, loud heating and cooling systems, and urban accomodations. Maybe it is because of all those years working in the field. I have stayed in 90 percent of the bad motels in the State of Nevada. A trailer changes everything and costs a lot less. My girl likes to cook and we have great food on the road.