Shelter building - YouTube style

Greatoutdoors

That is pretty awesome! I am going to have to see if I can find some more of his videos. When, and if, we get some cooler weather we want to try our hand at building a shelter. A time of emergency is not the time to be breaking in your skills.

Grandpa

That is pretty awesome! I am going to have to see if I can find some more of his videos. When, and if, we get some cooler weather we want to try our hand at building a shelter. A time of emergency is not the time to be breaking in your skills.
My suggestion to start is get a boy scout handbook and learn basic pioneering lashings. As with any cordage, knowing the correct knot or lashing for the job makes life sooo much easier. Cordage isn't necessary for a temporary shelter but a few well placed knots and lashings will turn that temporary into something that will last and withstand severe storms.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
My suggestion to start is get a boy scout handbook and learn basic pioneering lashings. As with any cordage, knowing the correct knot or lashing for the job makes life sooo much easier. Cordage isn't necessary for a temporary shelter but a few well placed knots and lashings will turn that temporary into something that will last and withstand severe storms.
Just do what he did. Use cable ties.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ppine

Forester
This guy sounds Scottish or Welsh. Brits are good in dealing with wet weather and fires in the rain. Most of them know little about wild country because they spend all their time in Europe. We can learn something from almost anyone, because there is no right answer.

Esperahol

Is it bad that for the next installment I expect to be taught how to install a hot tub? No, I didn't think so. This man is a master and his accent has nothing to do with my admiration... well maybe a bit. But only a bit.

Marshmallow

Thanks for sharing these videos. I'm going to show them to some of the grandchildren the next time they're stuck inside with me on a cold winter day. Maybe they'll get a little more interested in making their own shelters when we go camping when the weather warms up a bit.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Thanks for sharing these videos. I'm going to show them to some of the grandchildren the next time they're stuck inside with me on a cold winter day. Maybe they'll get a little more interested in making their own shelters when we go camping when the weather warms up a bit.
I would recommend the book, 'Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties' by D.C. Beard as a companion to the videos. No child should be without one. Takes "fort building" to a whole new level.

Barney

That is one great advantage of YT. A lot of smart and unselfish folks are sharing their outdoor recipes and I think the community has become great in that sense.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, I've seen his videos before...very interesting.

The shelter shown on video #7 , is more for a temporary, 'comfortable' base camp, rather than an emergency shelter. If the fabric front enclosure also extends to the rear of the roof, it would also be suitable for shelter during rain storms.

Very nice.

offtrail

Shelters can be very complex or very simple. I like the built in bed with room to place heated rocks under it to keep you warm at night, excellent shelter.