Site Update

jason

fear no beer
As some of you may have noticed the forums have been updated.

The older software was seven years old and was no longer being supported. The new software will allow us to expand further. It will allow us to also upgrade our server to be more responsive and hopefully have less overall downtime. There is also new features such as facebook/twitter/google+ integration, better image handling, member tagging, a built in like system, a more robust private messaging system and more. One noticeable change is the size of the text. I know a few people have mentioned the text was too small in the past and the new software allowed the text size to be changed to something slightly bigger.

I will be attempting to work on the gallery system after we upgrade the server. Your pictures have not been lost. I will also be working on enabling some of the extra features this week. You should be able to login with your current login information.

Hikenhunter

As some of you may have noticed the forums have been updated.

The older software was seven years old and was no longer being supported. The new software will allow us to expand further. It will allow us to also upgrade our server to be more responsive and hopefully have less overall downtime. There is also new features such as facebook/twitter/google+ integration, better image handling, member tagging, a built in like system, a more robust private messaging system and more. One noticeable change is the size of the text. I know a few people have mentioned the text was too small in the past and the new software allowed the text size to be changed to something slightly bigger.

I will be attempting to work on the gallery system after we upgrade the server. Your pictures have not been lost. I will also be working on enabling some of the extra features this week. You should be able to login with your current login information.
Jason, I like the new text size and everything seems like a good thing has been made slightly better. The one thing I hope will be restored is the " Recent Posts " coloum on the home page. Please tell me this will be restored as this feature is definately a time saver that has enabled me to stay on top of things in the OBC world.

jason

fear no beer
Jason, I like the new text size and everything seems like a good thing has been made slightly better. The one thing I hope will be restored is the " Recent Posts " coloum on the home page. Please tell me this will be restored as this feature is definately a time saver that has enabled me to stay on top of things in the OBC world.
There is a link at the top for recent posts. If you not on the main forum page if you hover your mouse over the little arrow next to forums you will have the option there. When I get the server upgraded I'll be adding a recent 5 posts to the side column.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'm learning to negotiate it but it's a pain the posterior. Maybe I'll stick around and maybe I'll look for a place where my icon doesn't cut off the top of my head.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
I'm learning to negotiate it but it's a pain the posterior. Maybe I'll stick around and maybe I'll look for a place where my icon doesn't cut off the top of my head.

I very much agree with this sentiment. Members icons either transferred to the new format distorted or didn't transfer at all. The counters were all reset and consequently long time and very active members like "Grandpa", "Cappy", "dinosaur" and "ppine" who have all recieved hundreds (if not thousands) of "likes" and given hundreds (if not thousands) of "likes" all started back at square one. This may seem like a small thing, but those "like" talleys make it easy for members, especially new members, and guests to get an idea of that particular member's credibility and popularity on this site... and that is no small thing.

You can no longer check to see what part of the site a logged in member is reading or responding to.... That was helpful because it gave a hint as to whether a response about a particular thread might be forthcoming.

The word processor is clunky especially when it comes to editing, as I find inserting a missing or misspelled word, or a cut and paste operation results in other deleted words unless I am very careful. I just today found the "preview post" option which I thought had been removed, but rather had been moved to a sub-menu.... And it appears that we no longer have the option to edit our own posts once the post reply button is clicked.

If you "quote" another members post, the format by which it is inserted into your post, for me at least, is too small and difficult to read, especially considering the default text size set for the posts in general.

Member participation has significantly dropped off compared to this same time in the last few years. This site can now go for multiple days without a single new post where as say a year ago that never happened. Maybe a new category or two would help?

One of the things that in the past has made internet forums interesting to me have been the pictures of adventures, scenery, campsites and gear that other members have shared directly in their post (not just a link to a photo) and that seems to be way down as well.

Also the look of this whole form is pretty dull.... members here are interested in the beauty of the great outdoors, but you'd never know it to look at this site. There could be a rotating gallery up in the header or a side bar of either public domain photos or member submitted photos or both. Something to add some visual interest and color would really liven things up.

I find it interesting that at any given time there are more "web crawling bots' on this site than members or even guests... Whats with that?

And seriously... What the heck is the deal with "trophy points"? It sounds like some hoaky deal offered on one of those silly games on "facebook".

Finally, whether you want to admit it or not Jason, activity on this site is way down... These are just a few suggestions... My $.02's worth.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
You can no longer check to see what part of the site a logged in member is reading or responding to.... That was helpful because it gave a hint as to whether a response about a particular thread might be forthcoming.
Opps! Just found the above feature but it is difficult for my eyes to read... small print on a black field in a small pop-up like bubble....

But without an edit button... I have to do an entirely new post. :Thumbsdown: