Sleeping Bag Ratings?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have a 0 degree mummy bag from Sierra Designs I bought back in the nineties at the REI store outside of Chicago. I hadn't used it that much because Summer camping hardly requires it. But last Wednesday I used it again because it got down into the fifties that night and my grand-daughters were using my blankets.

I didn't have to zip it up but it sure was comfy. It packs down really small and doesn't weigh much. As I recall twenty years ago it cost almost $200 to buy it. I think I'm going to use it more often. Might as well get my money's worth out of it.

IndianaHiker

I am gearing up to backpack on a tight budget.I need a sleeping pad. Im 50 so I need may need something not to thin because of the hips but I want something to pack light.There is alot to choose from out there. Any advice on where to start? ktc
Every consider a hammock. Easier on the hips as then you never contact the ground at all. Love mine and yes I am a side sleeper.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Ever consider a hammock? Easier on the hips as then you never contact the ground at all. Love mine and yes I am a side sleeper.
I love my hammock! Im making and under quilt for it so I won't need a pad at all. The weight of my system will be about the same as a regular tent, but without having to carry or strap a bulky pad to the outside, or worrying about inflatables leaking. I can't imagine laying on the ground again.

Dana

what weight/grade sleeping bag for all year

Hey,
Does anyone know if Consumer Products rate sleeping bags using a list of criteria for each - all weather being one of them? Seems some would have a thermal insert. Buying multiple bags for season change isn't appealing.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Hey,
Does anyone know if Consumer Products rate sleeping bags using a list of criteria for each - all weather being one of them? Seems some would have a thermal insert. Buying multiple bags for season change isn't appealing.
Getting multiple bags for me only has a weight advantage. My 20 degree bag is heavy and bulky. I could get a smaller, lighter 50 degree bag and have a lighter pack in the summer, or I could just unzip the one I have and save $250...

IndianaHiker

Getting multiple bags for me only has a weight advantage. My 20 degree bag is heavy and bulky. I could get a smaller, lighter 50 degree bag and have a lighter pack in the summer, or I could just unzip the one I have and save $250...
I couldn't do that. If I were to use a 20 degree bag in the summer I would die. Heck much above 35 and a good 20 degree bag is to much for me.

I do the same thing as far as bulk. Weight is not so bad as my 15 degree bag is down and pretty light. However packing size if different. Summer Trip I can use a 35 liter pack for a couple of days. Couldn't get by with that in the winter.

Dana

From what all you seasoned campers are saying, seems necessary to know weather predictions and bring alonga few thermal clothing items if you tend to run on feeling cold side. Multipe bags seem complicated and expensive!

Grandpa

Dana, even in Az, I would suggest a good down 20 degree bag. It may be overkill down in the canyons but up on the mesas or in the high country it is the norm. It may be hot in the daytime but even in the desert it can get real chilly at night. For spring and fall you can add base layers or liners making that bag a good all around unit. And a good down bag should be in the 2-2 1/2 lb range.

IndianaHiker

From what all you seasoned campers are saying, seems necessary to know weather predictions and bring alonga few thermal clothing items if you tend to run on feeling cold side. Multipe bags seem complicated and expensive!
I backpack year round and I have three bags. A 15 degree down that I have used down close to 0 degrees with good base layers. I have a 30 Degree bag I use in temps up to the mid 50's and a 60 degree for temps above 55 or so. Not complicated but can get expensive. Thinking about getting rid of the 30 degree bag and trading it for a 40 degree down bag. It is a Mont-Bell and compact pretty good for a synthetic bag but still not as small as I would like.