Sleeping Pad

SSGH11B

What is a good idea for a light weight sleeping pad? I have a self-inflating one that weighs about 2lbs. I'm still trying to lighten my overall load and realize that I do not 100% need one, but it beats sleeping on wet ground and not getting a good nights sleep on the trails.

Grandpa

Try Big Agnus Insulated Air core, or Thermarest neo air. The neo air is an entire line of lightweight but expensive pads. Not that the BA isn't a little pricey itself. I've been useing a BA insulated for the past 4 years for summer use and it has held up well and kept me warm off the ground, even when in surpise snow. It is more comfortable than my Trest 2" but I still go to the Trest during the cold months.

bsmit212

It will be a step down in comfort from a inflatable. But I like the simple ridgerest from thermarest. They are cheap, light, durable (if mine were an inflatable it would be long gone due to tears and punctures). Just my option.

Grandpa

Son-in-law got one of the klymet inertia X pads to save weight. He did not like it at all. It was fine until he rolled around and after that he was constantly reaching the ground through one of the holes. Uncomfortable and cold.

IndianaHiker

How light you want to go and how much you want to spend. Thermarest makes a new one that I believe is the lightest on the market. However it is around 150 buck for a sleeping pad. At least for that price it is insulated. I use a hammock when warm enough so don't need a pad. In the winter I sleep on the ground I use an uninsulated X-ped Basic and for warmth toss a cheap closed foam pad underneath it. Would be lighter to get an insulated pad but I already had the other two pieces and use them.

LinuxRacr

I have the Therm-a-Rest Neo-Air All Season and also a Big Agnes Insulated Q-core. Since I have wide shoulders, and am about 250 LBS, and over 6ft 3, the Big Agnes, being thicker seems to be more comfortable. The cool thing is that both roll up to about the size of a water bottle for easy backpacking.