snowshoe brands

carmen

Can anyone recommend a good brand for snowshoes? We are not as gracful as we were as kids. I was checking out a pair of Tubbs for my son but I really know nothing about them other than the reviews I see online.

ponderosa

Tubbs makes a very good shoe. Other good brands are Atlas and MSR, and there is a less expensive brand called Yukon Charlie that is a great bang for your buck.
REI has a good online article about how to choose the right snowshoe for the intended use and user:
Snowshoes: How to Choose

Stargazer

Ponderosa, thanks for sharing the article. I am planning on buying my first pair of snowshoes this year and had no idea where to start.

I just bought my first pair of snowshoes (Redfeathers) and cross country skis (VERY old Spauldings...they will be replaced before next season) and I am looking for tips for going out & enjoying them! (Michigan)

carmen

That article is great. For me when I shop I tend to go for more of price and looks but I want something that actually does the job it is meant to do. We are going to wait until this weekend and head out for some deals, hopefully we find something that works perfect.

briansnat

Platnium Member
The last time I shopped for snowshoes I avoided Tubbs becausee of the bindings. Maybe they changed the design since. I have Atlas and my wife has Redfeather and we both like them. Atlas has a great warranty. I had a piece of a binding break after 9 winters of use and they repaired it free.

carmen

Sometimes you find great basement bargains, I really do not care who makes the product as long as it does the job it is meant to do. I read a little on REI's website but sometimes they have so much stuff listed it can be overweening.

Pathfinder1

I like white ash and rawhide. The best ones ones are made by the Ojibwa or in someone's basement.

Hi...

I've always been attracted to those. Something about their being 'woodsy' or 'outdoorsy'.

I've seen videos (YouTube) of them being made...was extremely interesting.

For the 'expirementer', they have magnesium 'shoes. You can scrape the mag off to make a fire (usually mil-surplus).

BigSur

Wow, that sounds pretty cool! I am definitely gonna check out some of these snow shoes. I have never bought a pair but I think they are definitely a necessity sometimes!

briansnat

Platnium Member
I like white ash and rawhide. The best ones ones are made by the Ojibwa or in someone's basement.
I used those for years until I bought my Atlas snowshoes. The difference is huge. All I can say in favor of my ash and rawhide snowshoes is that they look nice hanging from the wall of the rec room. My Atlas shoes wouldn't look very appealing as a wall decoration.

Cappy

I keep ma snow shoes in a pack with ice drill,axe, and ice fishing gear. The pack is lashed to adog sled with skis and stuff and kept in a closet in my mind:tinysmile_twink_t::tinysmile_tongue_t: This closet has a sign over the well locked door labled "night mares:tinysmile_aha_t:

Stargazer

Well, I bought my first pair of snowshoes and it would have made a hilarious video. Thankfully there was no one around with a video camera, phone or any other video capturing device. The falling part was easy. I kept tripping over the tip of my snowshoe. But the real work of art was the trying to stand back up on my own two feet.