Solar Kits

limbs

Does anyone own a portable solar kit? They are panels that you hook to a battery. Then you can run electronics off of the battery? Seems like a cool idea, but are they worth it?

Walking Man

Refrigerator-Does the solar panel last more than one season? I don't have much experience with them and the only thing I know about them is the experience I've had with the solar walkway lights we buy every year.

LindaLou

Now that sounds interesting and something we might invest in. Are they expensive? And just what all can you run off of them? Could you run some electronics off of them like Laptops (if you can get a signal)?

savvyninja

Wow Refrigerator. 5 years? It's hard to believe that anything built nowadays is built that well. Personally, I've seen a lot of gadgets, such as a solar powered radio, but frankly, have always been skeptical about how well they charge. Hopefully, skeptics like me will eventually be converted as these kinds of technologies become more affordable and widespread.

Tubby

Good idea. I don't take too many electronics with me though, when I go backpacking. I do wish I had something like this for lanterns though, so I may wind up getting it. Nice suggestions by the way. Nice to know what's out there.

grand

The portable solar kit sounds interesting, and a great idea to bring on a camping trip. The downside for me is on the last post by Refrigerator about the weight of the battery and the kit. That is really something to consider...

batista45

First of all for guidance about the solar panel and solar panel kits. My recommendation is don't miss the camping refrigerator along with these Panels and Chargers: Brunton - Lanterns, Solar Power, Headlamps, Binoculars, Scopes, and Compasses in VR.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Over the years I have used multiple various sized solar setup;
I don't recommend kits as they are normally overpriced and over rated.
Beware most solar panel outputs are vastly over rated (by 12 times for the last smallish (25 watt; advertised) ones that I tried from amazon).

Don't expect too much from solar; the panels often require baby sitting to keep them out of the shade and pointed directly at the sun.

For my typical weekend camping use I would recommend a minimum of a 35 Amp Hour 12 volt battery., but you will have to be pretty rigorous in your energy management/use. The 35 AH would power a smallish compressor type portable fridge for a day.
For a couple of days no solar is required by me just the battery (fully charged at home before the trip). and an very small (80 watt) efficient inverter with USB port. .. its enough to charge the Bluetooth speaker and run a light intermittently.

Since the 35 AH died (after 8 years or so of use) I have substituted a 12 V 50 AH LiFePo4 (lithium phosphate) (half the weight; more than twice the power.)

For running a portable refrigerator: 100 watts of solar panel charging a 100 amp hour battery is generally recommended,

Enjoy!

batista45

All solar panel charger packs incorporate a solar panel charger or boards, a charge regulator, links, and mounting equipment. Assuming you want to add energy capacity to your solar panel power framework, you'll have to buy batteries independently, which is important for any individual who needs to utilize solar panel ability to go off-network. but I will prefer you should buy flexible solar panels kits instead of simple ones. This is more useful for all.

Northern Dancer

The original discussion was back in 2011. The reality is the technology has advanced significantly.

I use limited solar power at base camp - but when I'm tripping...it just isn't worth my effort [at this time].

ppine

Forester
Find a book to help you design a system. Solar panels, wiring, controller, fuse blocks, battery connections, batteries. Then there are connections to be made a few specialized tools. You will save plenty of money by building your own system.

Now I am about to buy some lithium batteries which will greatly improve everything.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Find a book to help you design a system. Solar panels, wiring, controller, fuse blocks, battery connections, batteries. Then there are connections to be made a few specialized tools. You will save plenty of money by building your own system.

Now I am about to buy some lithium batteries which will greatly improve everything.
I went to lithium (iron phosphate) some time ago and it is one of the better things that I have done for camping

Enjoy!

neboscott

I use bougerv 200W CIGS solar panels with my camping setup to charge up my external battery. I can lay it down on my roof, and it's much stealthier than traditional solar panel setups. And I can lean it up against the car to increase output, when I don't need the stealth. And it's so light, it's easy to move around.

ppine

Forester
I am taking out the lithium batteries for the first time actually this week. Still working on setting up the Renogy DC/DC charger to take advantage of my 220 amp truck alternator. Currently I have 200 watts of solar but will add more in the future. Two 100 aH batteries.

ppine

Forester
The lithium battery exceeded all expectations. For a three day trip in cold weather I had energy to spare, without even using solar panels. We ran lights, radio, a little furnace time, propane refir, water pump. Frost on Thurs morning at 7,200 feet. Great trip in the trailer.