Some general questions about the hunting process

geogeek

Hey guys & gals

I hope you can help me out with some information: I'm a South African who will be moving to Ontario, Canada in a couple of months, and I plan to hunt in Canada and the USA over the coming years.

I'm used to how hunts, meat processing, etc are done here in Africa, and I'd like to learn how they differ over there.

If I wanted to go hunting here, I would visit a game farm, preferably one with a seasonal exemption certificate, meaning that they're allowed to take on hunters any time of year. Hunting on unfenced land is not allowed, neither is hunting out of season on fenced land without an exemption certificate.

The cost of game doesn't differ that much from farm to farm, and after my hunt I would pay a fee per animal killed or wounded. For example, I may pay R500 ($35) per Springbuck, R600 ($40) per Warthog, R800 ($55) per Blesbuck, R6500 ($450) per Oryx, etc.

I would field-dress the animal in the bush and discard the innards near where I shot it (some farms do this for you as part of the cost of the hunt), and if I were on a multi-day hunt I would have the farmer keep it in a coldroom for me until I leave. Most farms would come pick up the carcass for me from where I shot it, I wouldn't have to arrange my own transport back to the coldroom.

For a small extra fee (R100 / $7 or so) the farm may cut the meat up into shanks, necks, ribs, etc, after which I can take it to a butcher to further process (the cost for this is usually per kilogram, around R10 / $0.7 per kg).

For me to transport the venison from the farm to a butchery (or back home) I need a certificate from the farm owner - he would usually complete this for me on the last day of the hunt.

Now, I know that things will differ from country to country and state / province to state / province, but could you give me a general idea of what the above process would look like (and cost) in Canada as well as the USA?

1. Where would I be allowed to hunt?

2. When would I be allowed to hunt?

3. I believe you guys get "tags" in order to go hunting - do these tags cover the full cost of each animal, or would you still pay the land owner a fee per animal?

4. With the tag system, what happens to the tags you don't use?

5. What are the requirements around transporting meat back home / to a butcher?

6. What are the costs associated with having the meat butchered?

7. Other than tags, what permits would I need to get in order to go hunting?

I appreciate any insights into this process that you can give me!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Wow! A lot to answer here. I haven't hunted in Canada for a long time but their rules are similar in many respects to the U.S.

The good news is that we have vast areas for hunting. Some are fenced and some aren't. Most farmers won't charge you to hunt their land but you have to have permission and it's always a good idea to offer up some of the game you take to the farmer. Also, don't field dress on the farmer's land unless he says it's okay.

You need a hunting license issued by the state you're in and, in some cases, a tag purchased in advance of hunting. This will apply to larger game like deer. Also, state by state, certain weapons may not be allowed for certain game. There are also certain animals that are "protected". This will vary from state to state but nowhere will you be allowed to shoot a bald eagle without the possibility of spending the next forty years behind bars.

Since you obviously own a computer, I would suggest you do a little surfing. I am from Indiana. Here, all you have to do is look up "Indiana Department of Natural Resources". Their website will give you all of rules and regulations for hunting and fishing in the state.

Costs for butchering may be a bit more or a bit less than what you are accustomed to paying unless you do hunt in a fenced game farm (Yes we do have them.) Some will guarantee you a deer or a buffalo but you will pay dearly for it. Butchering will be included.

We have a wide variety of game ranging in size from squirrel to elk, caribou and bear. Fun, exciting, and very tasty.

Good luck and good hunting.

Grandpa

What he ^ said. plus, In Idaho, and in most if not all states, if your birthday is after Jan 1, 1975, a hunter safety course must be taken before you can purchase that hunting license. Idaho rules can be found on the Idaho Fish and Game website.

ppine

Forester
In the US all of the wildlife is owned by the states (the people) and each one has their own rules about hunting. This is totally different than Europe where the King or the government owned the wildlife and only certain people are allowed to hunt. The Canadian Provinces are somewhat similar to the US. North America has lots of public land, and large tracts of private land owned by timber companies, railroads and others. You can hunt freely on public land with a license and a game tag. Make sure you have written permission for private land and know where you are at all times. Good luck.

ppine

Forester
The biggest difference is the amount of open public land with free chase hunting and no fences. The hardest part can be finding the critters. You have to learn their migration patterns, how they are affected by the weather and their daily habits.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I agree with ppine but hunting can also be simply fortuitous circumstance. Serendipity is responsible for many a successful hunt. It's like Groucho Marks said: "While in Africa I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing in my pajamas I'll never know."

Grandpa

I agree with ppine but hunting can also be simply fortuitous circumstance. Serendipity is responsible for many a successful hunt. It's like Groucho Marks said: "While in Africa I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing in my pajamas I'll never know."
Two stories come to mind off this post. The first, old Wisdom and pals were driving up a canyon to get "up to where the big boys are". Suddenly Wisdom claimed a necessary nature call. Squatting behind a sage, Wisdom suddenly whispered (loudly) "Bubba, bring me my rifle, fast." Bubba hurried to comply, and there squatted Wisdom, pants down around his knees, job in progress, jacking a shell in, taking a quick aim at a nearby sage and cutting loose with the old '06. The sudden thrashing behind the sage revealed a nice 30 + inch muley buck. Wisdom nonchalantly handed the rifle back to Bubba, and finished his other job.

My nephews and I had been chasing an old muley buck for three years. That old geezer new every trick in a bucks book. Whenever we did get him out in the open, which was seldom, he magically placed himself square between two hunters so neither could shoot. The wardens had tagged that old buzzard and had trapped him multiple times. For the last three years he was a 40 plus incher. One of the local boys got to bragging about him to his city friends and they decided to come up and have a go at him. The night before their hunt they celebrated their future success into the wee hours of the morning down at Critters Bar. Next morning, up the mountain they went. It didn't take long before one not so happy hunter was already regretting the previous evenings libations and declared nap time. While the rest of the boys tromped up the hill, Sleepy curled up under a pine and fell fast asleep. Some hours later, he heard a slight noise, opened one eye, just in time to see a big buck sneaking through the trees. Grabbing his rifle, he cut loose one shot, and that ended the quest for Mr. Big. One overweight, hung over kid accomplished in just a few hours what all us mighty and experienced hunters couldn't get done in three years.

Cappy

Think of each state as a hunting zone. Requiring separate licences and having separate rules. Remember living in one state and hunting in another can be troublesome. hunting in other states requires non resident licences. It's much easier to hunt or fish your own state.
Next where to hunt in your state the internet is your friend a wealth of information for your particular area is available from the local authorities just look it up. Once ya are legal and have found hunting territory then the fun begins scout for the game ya interested in and have fun safely.