Stick Frog Gig?

Barney

We used to make these all the time. Just sharpen and split one end of a stick into 4 pieces and separate them with rope. You'll have one interesting tool for hunting frogs and fish.

ChadTower

It's even easier than that. Use a long branch with the twigs still on the far end. Same idea, bigger net on the end, already made by a tree.

If you do it at night you can mesmerize the frogs with a flashlight.

Hikenhunter

Try this for frogs. Get a peice of wood that floats about 3/4 thick and about 91/2 inches wide X 12 inches long. drill a hole in one end af the board. About 1" from the end of the board and centered of the width.Tie a 25' length of rope to the hole. Set a tea candle in the center of the board and light it. Float the board about 1' to 2' from shore. Tow board slowly along the shore and you should be able collect a bunch of frogs. To get them for keeping you need to shine a bright flashlight in their eyes and you can just pick up the ones you want to keep and put them in yourt bucket. Really works.

BGreen

Some of the best times I recall having with my father is going frog gigging or flounder gigging late at night. He taught me to make my own gigs, and they worked pretty well. It's been many years since we last went, but I remember the last time as if it happened yesterday. Miss my pa!

Cappy

Down here in bayou country frog hunting is very popular and also highly regulated by wild life and fisheries. There is a season and it's against the law to break the froggies skin. No gigs allowed. so instead folks either use their hands, a grab., or a net. Frog season is so regulated cause frog hunting is very popular, cause frog eating is considered a delicacy. Down here ya pay more for frog legs at the grocery store than ya do for rib eye steaks. Here is a story I wrote a few years ago ilustrated by Peggy about a true story from my youth,:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Cappy & Pegody's World: The Bullfrog Invasion

Barney

Try this for frogs. Get a peice of wood that floats about 3/4 thick and about 91/2 inches wide X 12 inches long. drill a hole in one end af the board. About 1" from the end of the board and centered of the width.Tie a 25' length of rope to the hole. Set a tea candle in the center of the board and light it. Float the board about 1' to 2' from shore. Tow board slowly along the shore and you should be able collect a bunch of frogs. To get them for keeping you need to shine a bright flashlight in their eyes and you can just pick up the ones you want to keep and put them in yourt bucket. Really works.
And this really works?! It is incredible! I never heard about it before. :) And I though I had good and useful ideas. The point of hunting is keeping it simple and easy. If this isn't simple I don't know what is.

Newanderthal

Yeah Barney, it works. I've known guys to use a similar method. The flashlight in the face might as well be buckshot. They freeze up like they're dead

Scotty

Awesome! I love frog legs. The only place I can get them fixed is at the local Chinese restaurant and they are farm raised frogs which don't taste right. I would rather catch my own and fry my own, they taste better that way.

Hikenhunter

And this really works?! It is incredible! I never heard about it before. :) And I though I had good and useful ideas. The point of hunting is keeping it simple and easy. If this isn't simple I don't know what is.
It does. Give it a try sometime and you will see.Better check the laws in your state first though. Cappy is right about fish and wildlife agencies and limits on the amount of frogs and the methods used to take them.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t