Still doing my stuff...

Northern Dancer

It's been a while since I've been on the site - sort of miss it. My enthusiasm hasn't wained in terms of outdoor life. I crave it; it's the tonic I need to manage our nutty world. I was blessed with several outings and canoe trips this summer. And now that the colder weather has returned I've booked several dates to get outside. I purchased a new wood stove for the tent and I will be testing it next weekend - though the temperatures will not be all that cold. Trust everyone is well and managing to get out as much as possible.

Grandpa

Keep us posted on your travels. We've had beautiful weather here the last few weeks but with grandsons and high school football, and my own doings, I cant find three days in a row to get away. I thought retirement meant we had free time.

jason

fear no beer
Yeah the world can be pretty nutty. Always nice when you can get away from it for a while.

What kind of wood stove did you get?

Stop in once in a while and keep us posted. I always enjoy seeing the pictures.

Northern Dancer

2736 2737

Nice to hear from you Grandpa - retirement, knaw - it just means activity re-arranged. Must do you proud to watch him play - who would ever have thought. A Grandson - great isn't it? I bet he has some of your qualities.

The photos were taken on our seven-day canoe trip in August. Gorgeous weather and fantastic campsite. We didn't see any wildlife other than some loons and a blue heron.

Attachments

Northern Dancer

Yeah the world can be pretty nutty. Always nice when you can get away from it for a while.

What kind of wood stove did you get?

Stop in once in a while and keep us posted. I always enjoy seeing the pictures.
----->

2742 2743 2744

I picked up this Great Northern [also called portable military] stove for 50 bucks. I burned off the paint and repainted it with a better covering. The latch was a dud so I replaced it and consequently got a better seal. I put wire inside the spark protector to make it more efficient. This season I made a fireguard for the floor, repainted the stack and legs with a silver high heat paint. I use it in my 12 x 12 Alaknak and found it worked well. The stove comes with a porker and stove rake. It has 4 x 16 3/4 inch long x 2 3/4 inch diameter interlocking flue pipe sections. The legs are removable 16 3/4. inches. The top grate is hinged and doubles as a carrying handle when the stove is not in use. Grade folds down to make a top stove for cooking. Everything fits into the stove proper for transport. It weighs about thirty pounds.

jason

fear no beer
I like that. I honestly have no use for it here, but it would be cool if I could setup something like that for my metal garage. But I got enough going on to worry about that. I found this at a civil war reenactment one year. The person was only selling to other reenactors (sp?) however which is ok, as the prices at that reenactment are crazy. I want to say they were asking over $125US for this, but I have yet to see another one. Not that I have looked extremely hard, but figured it would great where I could car camp or bring a buggy/cart I could pull. Doubt it would put off enough heat for you though but it looks so neat and would add to my collection

Attachments

Northern Dancer

I like that. I honestly have no use for it here, but it would be cool if I could setup something like that for my metal garage. But I got enough going on to worry about that. I found this at a civil war reenactment one year. The person was only selling to other reenactors (sp?) however which is ok, as the prices at that reenactment are crazy. I want to say they were asking over $125US for this, but I have yet to see another one. Not that I have looked extremely hard, but figured it would great where I could car camp or bring a buggy/cart I could pull. Doubt it would put off enough heat for you though but it looks so neat and would add to my collection
-----> I only use it in the winter and when you are out for a few days or longer it can make things comfortable. $125.00? My standard advice when it comes to purchasing equipment of any kind is to buy on sale. I'm just flabbergasted at the ruthlessness of some sellers. But then again I tend to be cheap. We are fortunate that we have so many choices.

This is a fantastic site Jason - it's got to be one of the very best anywhere.

jason

fear no beer
Yeah, places like re-enactments are not priced cheap. Although there used to be blacksmith there who had great quality stuff fairly priced. Picked up a few items when I had the money. There is someone close by who will have an "Antique sale". They run it like a yard sale, but clearly state that is an Antique sale. When they are selling a 12 inch Wagner skillet for $75 I don't know who much they sell. But I didn't mean to hijack the topic.

Thanks for the kind words, Means allot especially lately.