Stuff I've made.

oldsarge

Here are a few items I have made. Map case, compass cases, survival pouch and knife. I constructed them out of a old Army VS17 panel used for high visibility marking. Nothing worse than dropping something on the ground and having it blend in. The large knife without the sheath is a copy of the Tom Brown "Tracker" knife. At around $300, I wasn't about to shell out that kind of money before trying one out first, so I made my own. It holds up real well and is pretty useful as a camp tool. The other knife has one of my survival kits strapped to it, this holds quite a bit of those little odds and ends to help out in a pinch.

oldsarge

Here I took one of my older hiking staffs and modified it to hold a GPS unit. I used a Maglite hold for a "D" cell flashlight, and Liquid Weld putty to form it all in. A lanyard with a quick release keep it from getting lost if the GPS unit get knocked off. I am trying to come up with a new system to use on my bamboo hiking staffs I purchased from Newanderthal. I'll post as soon as I can come up with something.

Last edited:

oldsarge

Made this while on a survival course in Panama. Not nearly as lethal as it looks, but it was a fun project on those boring afternoons between daily jobs.
The trigger was operated by your thumb on top. All my arrows either broke or got lost. This had no range but up close I could stick a 6" arrow into a tree. I used to have the bowl, fork, spoon and ladle I made from bamboo, but it all got lost in my many moves.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Belts, holsters, suit of buckskins, bridles, hobbles, possibles bags, pipe bags, .44 Rem Army kit, .54 Hawken kit, campfire irons, branding irons, wooden spoons, furniture, canoe paddles, wooden barrels, and an African mahogany sea kayak.

Pathfinder1

Hi, Guys...

Good work, although you're making me feel left out...!!

I can only recall making a dagger out of an old machette...!! And making some arrowheads for my own use.

That "tracker" knife looks like it may have been fashioned to look somewhat like the one Nessmuk used.

When I was a teenager, I once wrote to a major trap manufacturer regarding a trap modification that I thought would be helpful. They told me "no"...but in later years they started producing that modified trap (but that probably doesn't count). I still have their "rejection" letter.

Cappy

I envy you guys. Alls I have ever made is snares, lines and traps, stuff like that. Thats why I have an extensive country boy network in town here. If the "chicken littles" are right and the feces does impact the rotary cooling device i have plenty to contribute but need lots fo help. Guess thats us all.

Marshmallow

OldSarge, I love the pink gadget covers you've made. The color will definitely stand out. Your GPS holder is really creative. I could probably make a few covers if all it involves is a bit of sewing. Otherwise, I'd be hard pressed to make any gear worth having.