Summertime Rituals...

Northern Dancer

An outdoor ritual for me is to ceremoniously get my "Baybee" ready for the tripping season. I first start by washing it down checking for scrapes, gouges, and bruises from the year before. I scrutinize the thwarts, gunwales, yoke, decks, and the seat webbing to assure none has deteriorated. I view my logo and decals to make sure they are crisp and clear. I examine the bow and the stern for damages. I then remove any flakes, particles or chips from the haul, and then wash it all down again. I apply three coats of polyurethane to give it that sleek canoe shine.

With the task done I check the canoe pack, the transporter, my life jackets, and paddles. Sometimes I'm tempted to purchase a new paddle and decorate it with my logo. Yep...I'm more than ready - I'm itching to go.

What outdoor rituals do you perform?

2849 2850

IMG_1651.JPG

Souris 16 foot Kevlar Extra Light Prospector Canoe

Roybrew

I hear ya. That is one sweet canoe.

Getting the watercraft cleaned and prepped is all part of the fun.

ppine

Forester
Where to start? I have six boats. Battery charging, firing up engines, a lot of cleaning.

I just took the tandem seats and middle thwart out of my Old Town kevlar Canadienne and put in a solo seat and a new thwart. She is ready to go. I will be using a removable 2 in webbing to portage her to the water.

Ongoing ritual is the wood and canvas Old Town Guide from 1953. Labor intensive is an understatement when it comes to wood canoes. The next step is to steam bend and tack in the new ribs.

Northern Dancer

...let's see now, - you are into canoes and have some kind of fetish for watercraft "ppine" while I'm into tents standing today at seven. :Smile2:

Northern Dancer

Добрый день!
Норвежский дом – новые тенденции строительства домов и бань.
Без шуток. Действительно на вашем участке можно построить дом, баню или дом-баню всего лишь за 1 день.
Суть в том, что строительство дома, бани или дома-бани на заводе займет от 30 дней.
Цена просто смех! Дешевле, чем 1 комн. квартира. Скажу больше, обмана нет и это не маркетинговый трюк. Реально построить норвежский дом можно дешевле, чем купить квартиру.
Конструкция стен, потолка и пола очень теплая, теплее, чем из обычных материалов. Сэкономите на отопление.
Строительство реально качественное без брака, с соблюдением всех технологических процессов и строительных норм.
Если вы заинтересовались:
Норвежские деревянные дома
Можете смело остановить дальнейшие поиски. Тем более на дом, баню или дом-баню есть гарантия от производителя!
До новых встреч!
----> I had one too, but the wheels fall off of it.

ppine

Forester
I sold my Aire cataraft and bought an aluminum drift boat. I have an 8 hp Honda to use it on lakes. I recently sold two canoes, so now it is easier to keep up. Time to start letting go of some stuff.

Northern Dancer

...really hard to do "ppine". The "stuff" is what we are made of in terms of our personalities and identities. But I hear you as I look at all the "stuff" I've accumulated.

Grandpa

Grandma and i have been trying to downsize. None of the family are hollering dibs....until we threaten to get rid of something.

Roybrew

I've already decided what I'm going to do. I'm going to accumulate anything I like and can afford. When I go I'm just goin to let my daughters figure out what to do with all my junk. Yeh boy all kinds of fishing, camping and worn out wood working tools. I'll let them worry about it. Treats them right. All this grey hair they have caused me.

ppine

Forester
Nobody in the family cares about my stuff.
My good western tack, saddles, spurs, reatas, taps, quirts and saddle blankets some antique guns goes to the Nevada State Museum.
Most of my camping equipment I will be giving away. Canvas wall tent, canvas Baker tent (now set up in the backyard camp site), backpacking tent, large backpacking tent, Whelen lean to, Moss parawing, Mountainsmith tent/tarp. We all have the same disease.

Northern Dancer

...I'm sort of in the same boat. I have excellent up to date equipment - I can't even give it away. Come next spring I've tagged a lot of stuff for a "Garage Camp Sale" and see what I might make. I was sort of toying with the idea that if I made anything I could buy maybe, something, like, or New Camp Equipment - maybe? :cool: Okay, okay - let's not go there.

Northern Dancer

Wow...were did my precious summer go? [Yours too!] I'm going to have to comfort myself with the warm days of early fall and just embrace the season.

ppine

Forester
Now it is time for the fall rituals. Headed out to go trout fishing with my brother and Ruby Begonia next week. We will be sneaking up on trout with a drift boat on a famous lake.

Northern Dancer

...great to hear that "ppine"! Other than some hiking I haven't been able to get-a-way.

At one time [in our long-term care centre] I would just select residents to visit. - now I have a waiting list of people who want to see me. This COVID 19 has effected a good number of our residents as well as staff and administrators. I do plan to get some winter camping in though a lot of the haunts have been shut down.

Roybrew

Summertime is slipping away. I can really feel it because of the angle of the sun. Our red maples are showing a little fall color. I'm sure the other trees will soon be showing color.

Grandpa

Our summer rituals went along smoothly except our time was divided a little differently. Our family get together on the 4th of July took a lot more time than usual. Grandma and I celebrated our 50 years in double harness. Our family portrait was complete once our marine grandson was photoshopped into the picture. No small feat getting that many families all herded into one group picture. Grandma. Grandpa, 4 kids with spouses, 14 grands with 5 spouses, and 7 greats.

Our annual family backpacking trip went well although grandpa just doesn't have the mileage the younger generations do. We had 4 generations along with 3 greats, 3 grands, one daughter and a couple of sons in law.

We started a new tradition of a week long car camping with friends. Four couples took in the beauties of our state, campground by campground. Plans are already underway for next year.

We recently returned from our annual road trip with our good friends. This is a beautiful land we live in. Every state has its beauty.

And now summer has turned to fall. The aspen and western maples are brilliant. This week has been firewood week preparing for the winter cold that is sure to come. A son in lsw and grandson keep me slaving trying to keep up with them. Actually, they are helping so they can ferret out my fsvorite deer haunts. Our mule deer season opens this Saturday, and I'm going to give it one last try. I love fresh venison in the fall.

Northern Dancer

Our summer rituals went along smoothly except our time was divided a little differently. Our family get together on the 4th of July took a lot more time than usual. Grandma and I celebrated our 50 years in double harness. Our family portrait was complete once our marine grandson was photoshopped into the picture. No small feat getting that many families all herded into one group picture. Grandma. Grandpa, 4 kids with spouses, 14 grands with 5 spouses, and 7 greats.

Our annual family backpacking trip went well although grandpa just doesn't have the mileage the younger generations do. We had 4 generations along with 3 greats, 3 grands, one daughter and a couple of sons in law.

We started a new tradition of a week long car camping with friends. Four couples took in the beauties of our state, campground by campground. Plans are already underway for next year.

We recently returned from our annual road trip with our good friends. This is a beautiful land we live in. Every state has its beauty.

And now summer has turned to fall. The aspen and western maples are brilliant. This week has been firewood week preparing for the winter cold that is sure to come. A son in lsw and grandson keep me slaving trying to keep up with them. Actually, they are helping so they can ferret out my fsvorite deer haunts. Our mule deer season opens this Saturday, and I'm going to give it one last try. I love fresh venison in the fall.
-----> I enjoyed reading this. There is someting special about the vibrance of great relationships and healthy activity. Thank you for sharing this it was very much appreciated.

Northern Dancer

Summer has moved on...
They seem to come so soon and disappear just as fast.
I hope everyone has at least one good memory in this Summer of COVID 19.