Table project

Roybrew

I had this old aluminum coleman stand that I purchased at an antique store last year. I think I gave about 7 dollars for it.
I have been wanting a more packable table, so I started thinking. I had some old pine shelf boards with paint and stuff on them. I even used them to set my router tool depth on for practice cuts, so hmm
The boards about 32 inches long by 11 1/2 wide by 3/4 thick. I ran them through the planer and got them to 3/8 thickness. Then cut them to 2 inches wide and 27 inches long.
Sanded them lightly to remove sharp edges
I cut a couple of strips for stringers, and cut holes in them so they would fit over the tabs that stuck up on top of the stand.
I coated all pieces with polyurethane, and stapled straps to the under side. One strap down the center with a buckle clapse.
Voila
It rolls up to about 6 inch diameter, 27 inches long and about 6 pounds
Time will tell how well the staples hold up. All I need to do now is get the old sewing machine out and make a bag for it.

Roybrew

Thank you Grandpa and Cappy. I made the bag for it this afternoon. Measured diameter and length
I had ordered some fabric last summer for a canoe thwart bag that I was wanting to make, sometime, so I layed it out and started trimming.
Cut the diameter for the bottom of the bag.
I used to watch mom sew, and she made it look easy. Dug out the old singer sewing machine
and went to work
Real men sew. Right? It's actually pretty complicated. I keep a seam ripper handy incase I stitch my finger to the fabric. Dangerous stuff. Anyhow here it is. I need to insert a draw sting so I can sinch it shut
. I enjoy this stuff :)

dinosaur

troublemaker
Totally cool. I did the same thing with an old Singer sewing machine base a long time ago just like you said. I used one by fours I select cut and turned it into a beautiful piece that still adorns my youngest sister's dining room. God bless ya'.

Roybrew

Thanks. I enjoy making camping stuff. I am planning on making a table that has plate holder, silverware holder and cup holders on one side and a sink on the other. The sink will set in a cut out in the table top, this was an excellent thing I seen @Northern Dancer do. I want to be able to remove dishpan and flip down a board so it can be used as a cook top also. And I want to be able to hang a shower bag above high enough so I can use it for rinsing dishes. Rough sketch of top, but it's a work in progress.
Got flooring job right now. Me knees are killing me.

Roybrew

I dug this old thread up because I had a few of my wood strips come loose from the straps on my table. I removed the loose staples and shot some longer ones in. I figured it has held up pretty good for a good year and half and 5 or 6 trips. Giving it an up grade with some studs to hold the top, so it won't slide around. I weighed it, on bathroom scale, it weighs about 7 pounds. Not good for back packing, but good for dump camping (driving or boating in and dumping your stuff out). Hoping to go camping next week, but the weather has a big factor on it right now.

ppine

Forester
Table turned out nice.
I have a similar one with only four legs that rolls up that I have been using for 30 years at least. It is a good design.