Teaching Kids to Ride

Discussion in 'General Riding' started by ppine, Oct 9, 2017.

1. ppine

ppine Forester

My riding career is over after some serious injuries, but I am back in the barn teaching emotionally challenged kids to ride. We have a string of 9 really talented lesson horses, everything from rope horses, cutters, to hunter/jumper warm bloods. We teach the kids to handle horses from the ground, groom them, handle them and respect them. Then they get to ride. They start out bareback with a bitless bridle.

Some of the kids are in love with the horses after about an hour. It is obvious that love is missing in their lives. Horses are honest and very intuitive about emotions. Some of the kids as young as 8 pick it up really fast and learn to guide their horses with postive energy mostly using their legs and seat bones. They figure out quickly how to release the horse for doing the right thing. The intructors get more out of it than the kids. I find that just being around horses is great therapy for me, and most of the kids are very rewarding to work with. It is the adults that cause all of my frustrations.
    jason, Roybrew and Grandpa like this.
  2. ppine

ppine Forester

Winter is the quiet time at the barn. We give the horses the month of December off. I go over and feed them with my dog. There is no one around. Just the mountains, the critters and my best dog Ruby Begonia. Chopping ice, throwing flakes, and vixing some senior feed in a bucket with water is very rewarding. It is like a mental tune-up. Working with animals helps me deal with people.
    Grandpa and jason like this.
  3. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    God bless ya my friend sounds like a peaceful life. May you have a wonderful Christmas.
    ppine likes this.
  4. jason

jason fear no beer Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That has to be so peaceful. Animals can be so much better then people.
    Cappy likes this.
  5. ppine

ppine Forester

Merry Christmas to all. I just returned from feeding and it has the same effect every time.
    Grandpa and Cappy like this.
  6. ppine

ppine Forester

Mis Amigos,
    It is a standing joke around horse and cattle people, that spending time with animals makes it much easier to be around humans. They are honest and react in more predictable ways. Animals tend to make us better humans.

If I had life to live over, I would consider being a professional animal trainer instead of a forester. The great thing about trees is that they don't run away and they occur in the most beautiful places in world Peace.
    dinosaur, Grandpa and Cappy like this.
  7. dinosaur

dinosaur troublemaker

From my ranch: IMG_20170826_114252.jpg IMG_20170826_114242.jpg
    jason, ppine, Cappy and 2 others like this.
  8. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow I had no idea ya had a camera:p
    ppine and dinosaur like this.
  9. dinosaur

dinosaur troublemaker

Yeah. It's one of them there new fangled things. I'm still 'gittin' the hang of it.:Yo:
    ppine, Cappy and Grandpa like this.
  10. ppine

ppine Forester

I like feeding in the winter so much I continue to do it one day a week. It takes awhile to get over there, but it is emotional every time. I miss working with mules though. They are smarter than horses and tend to be more emotional. I love all equines and their honesty.
  11. jason

jason fear no beer Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the iron horse in the background.
  12. dinosaur

dinosaur troublemaker

That's mine. But it's a hog.