The Forest is Ready for the Winter

Northern Dancer

The temperatures in my neck of the woods reached 74. I enjoyed sloshing through the dry leaves and exploring the various trails. It's hard to believe that the same trails will be covered with frost and snow too soon. When I got home I made use of the pleasant weather by making a "Camp Pox" - mini chuck kitchen that will fit nicely on a basecamp picnic table. I was inspired by Roybrew.

ppine

Forester
9 degrees and snow in Nevada.
Yesterday I was working outside at the barn teaching my favorite kid to ride. It was grey and snowy. A barn owl flew overhead in the indoor arena about 12 feet over my head. The horse was not troubled by it. Owls are pretty silent fliers.

It seems cold for November. When I closed up the barn it was dark. So I headed to my favorite Basque bar for a hot buttered rum which changed everything.

Northern Dancer

Just thinking Pine...it would be nice to drop in at your table at the Basque bar and join you for one of those hot buttered rum. It would be great to sit down with you and have a visit.

ppine

Forester
I grew up in the East and the woods always felt dead to me in winter after the trees lose their leaves. In the West most of our forests are conifers and green all year. They feel very much alive. I miss camping in the snow and traveling on x-c skis. I used to let my dog haul half of my equipment in a small sled. I fondly remember camping one night near Castle Peak in CA at around 8,000 feet. I brought a Whelen lean-to which is open to a fire. We made furniture with a snow shovel. It was pure luxury to dry our clothing, cook dinner and get warm. The tent reflects the heat back on the occupants. I can still see the moon rise and snow falling at 0200. My dog thought is was cold so I zipped her up in my jacket. She woke up the next morning still inside it. Here's to winter.