The new bike...

Northern Dancer

It's simple they said - once you learned how to ride a bike you never forget.

In an attempt to get ready for the camping season I thought I'd shed a few pounds and build up some muscle mass. I did. Then it came to mind that the purchase of a new bike could be a good idea. I did.

I couldn't go to the store so I ordered a mountain bike online and picked it up fully assembled [relief]. The mandatory helmet was attached as well as a congratulatory letter.

I adjusted the seat, checked it out, attached the water bottle to the frame, and then went outside to give it a spin. Oh, yeah - you had to throw your leg over to the other side like mounting a horse. That didn't go very well because I couldn't get my leg over. Okay, okay, I thought let's slide it over the back wheel and bring myself up over and onto the seat. Done. I checked my feet and they were firmly on the ground. The next task was to get mobile. Like a bike with bent wheel frames I made all of five feet and over I went. Anyway - I've been reviewing the "how-to videos" and practicing early in the morning at the deserted college parking lot. Simple they said. :Smile2:

Roybrew

Oh boy that's a funny one! You got video of you mounting your trusty steed? You know what they say about falling off? Get back on and ride like you stole it.

jason

fear no beer
How long have you gone without riding? And as Roybrew said, what kind of bike?

Cappy

I ran into the mounting problem too. So I went to a country bike guy snooped around his frames and had him build me a bike and he did it for cheap. 7 gears wide comfy seat and a big hawking basket on the handlebars I figured I could ride it to the corner store at our favorite camp ground for daily groceries and such. I had him build it on a girls heavy duty frame he had from an old Schwinn. It's a franken bike and still needs some tweeking handle bar height and seat adjust but it is easy mounting not requiring that high leg swing. If you look around on line ya can find several off road bikes and camp ground models made that way with us older not so limber guys in mind.

Roybrew

7 whole gears. All I need is a Papaw gear.

Dancers avoiding this discussion.

Cappy

Well I really enjoy the variety of gears in low ya peddle like mad dont go far but I can peddle up the levee and not hafta get off and push. Did I mention its easy on and off? I also like the ground eating high gear that gets the breeze going in my face and allows me to tolerate the summer heat mo betta. A neighbor picked at me calling it a girls bike but after watching me get on and off it a few times he went bought him one. Says its some kind of grandpa camp ground special or something.

Roybrew

Nothing worse then trying to swing your leg over something that really serves very little purpose. I wonder if a demented person came up with the idea that there needs to be a bar at a height that can physically impair a person.

Northern Dancer

Thanks for all your [amusing] comments and encouragement. It dawned on me that I had to straighten out the seat so it was level. I got the level out and measured it and made the appropriate adjustment. That done, I proceeded to get a saddle cover to make it gentler on my posterior. I was reminded I had to measure my leg length in relation to the saddle - that certainly helped a lot. The mandatory helmet was a perfect fit and nothing more was required other than to wear it. I got around to mounting the water bottle should I get really thirsting riding around the neighbourhood.

I purchased a CCM Slope Men's Hardtail Mountain Bike. As you know I never buy anything unless it is on sale. This one was 50% off due in part to the current slump in sales. I felt a tad guilty as the price came out far lower than what I had budgeted.

Trust all you guys [gals too] are doing well and holding on to the wooden nickles and getting ready for the camp sales. This reminds me - all trips and excursions are terminated until August [hopefully].

Roybrew

Nice set of wheels, and appears you got an excellent deal. The first "new" bicycle I had was a Raleigh 10speed. It was strictly a pavement bike. It had the curved handle bars and the seat was designed for population control. I was 14 when I bought it. Worked in hay and tobacco for farmers to get enough for purchase. Still have it to.

Northern Dancer

It's a year later, less a tad and guess what? I'm still riding and enjoying the freedom of a modern bike. It's great for building up the leg muscles for canoe tripping and hiking. :Smile2: