The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Thank you. I enjoyed this project. Next will be matching paddles. Waiting for new mower transmission, I can think of more fun things to spend my money on.IMG_20210711_103719856~2.jpg

Roybrew

New transmission came the other day and it took me an hour to install. A very unenthusiastic whoopee.

I woke yesterday afternoon to a very hazy looking sky. I had an Orange alert on my phone also that stated bad air qualityView attachment 3000 I'm guessing it's from the forrest fires out west. Hard to believe it effects my weather way out here in TN.

We went to Asheville NC last Saturday, and I drove down to the French Broad river to check it out. It was stained from the rains they've had, and with all the people on tubes drifting down it looked like "people soup". I've thought about doing a 3 or 4 day trip on that river. I would definitely start way on up stream from there and go in cooler weather. Little bit to hot this time of year for me to camp. To many ticks and snakes around these rivers plus it's hard to enjoy a camp fire when your sweating.

I would guess Norther Dancer and Grandpa are out doing some camping. I hope all have good weather and a great time.

You all take care.
Roy

Northern Dancer

New transmission came the other day and it took me an hour to install. A very unenthusiastic whoopee.

I woke yesterday afternoon to a very hazy looking sky. I had an Orange alert on my phone also that stated bad air qualityView attachment 3000 I'm guessing it's from the forrest fires out west. Hard to believe it effects my weather way out here in TN.

We went to Asheville NC last Saturday, and I drove down to the French Broad river to check it out. It was stained from the rains they've had, and with all the people on tubes drifting down it looked like "people soup". I've thought about doing a 3 or 4 day trip on that river. I would definitely start way on up stream from there and go in cooler weather. Little bit to hot this time of year for me to camp. To many ticks and snakes around these rivers plus it's hard to enjoy a camp fire when your sweating.

I would guess Norther Dancer and Grandpa are out doing some camping. I hope all have good weather and a great time.

You all take care.
Roy
-----> Strange stuff going on everywhere. The Second Trip begins on Monday next, The long-term weather forecast says the temperature will be in the 80's. Our air quality hasn't been very good either with the almost 1,000 forest fires burning. Covid 19 restrictions have eased considerably that has caused an almost panic response to the welcomed freedoms. People are doing interesting things for sure. All my trips are into the interior this year because all the parks are jammed-packed with people.

Nice to see you online [early too].

Cappy

I always sat in the back when canoeing with all gear in front of me I paddled with a j stroke and only swapped sides when wanting a change when I did I would pass the paddle behind me bade skitting in water this eliminated the drip when swiping in front and after a long day, I still had a dry canoe.

jason

fear no beer
We are kinda excited having neva done it and this will be a 2 night trip. When ya add all the expenses up it aint too expensive. I am kinda worried bout climbing to the top bunk on acounta I aint as spry as I usta be. I am not worried about falling though I have sp;ent countless nights in a narrow bunk on a boat so train should be bout the same put peg on the bottom not as far to fall in case she does. She has been known to fall out of a queen sized bet here.;)
Yes, post a report on the trains. I understand they are slower, but seems more relaxing then driving or flying. Seen some amazing shows on some of the scenic train trips you can take. You getting dried out up there yet?

It is done. I'm happy with the results. I don't think it would be something I would want to portage, but it would fine for base camping. 14 pounds ain't to bad.
I love that look. Great work.

Work been crazy here, especially after the storm that came over the coast earlier. Got to load the helicopters the other day. They don't stop the blades when loading, so that was an experience.

Attachments

Roybrew

Hey Cappy, I've seen videos about how to do J stroke, but that's all I know about it. I've never been in a canoe with a knowledgeable canoeist so I really have no idea if I'm doing it right. I might have perfected a "dumb stroke". The double blade kayak paddle is great with the small boat and going against the current.

Thanks Jason,
I'd bet you got a hot strenuous job. I worked for a landscaper after highschool, back in the early 80's. I love working outside, but I don't think I could do that kind of work anymore. My brother flew helicopter in the army and then he flew a medical helicopter after he retired from service. He retired from that a couple of years ago. He loved flying. I'd love to go for a ride in one but not for medical purpose, $50,000+ for one of those rides. Eeww.
Stay hydrated down there in the far south. Don't get eaten by a Gator or water moccasin. Stay in touch.

Well Dancer, how far into the interior are you going, if you don't mind me asking? That would be a dream come true for me. I keep saying " one of these days".

All I got is a trip planned for the end of next week. We going to be drifting, and fishing of course, down a river on a section I've never been before. I'm going to be scoping out future camping spots. Going to be [emoji3062] hot outside. I think I'll mount an umbrella to my canoe seat.IMG_20210718_152508519~2.jpg

Northern Dancer

NOT INTENDED TO GIVE ANYONE A HEADACHE

There are about twelve different kinds of strokes you can use when canoeing. [Though there are professional canoeists that will say there are fewer, which is fine.]

REVERSE
J
PITCH
PRAY
PUSH AWAY
RUNNING PRY
DRAW
SCULLING
REVERSE SCULL
CROSS DRAW
SWEEP
C

...and then there is the knifing J stroke that I use the most. It is an extended J stroke that gives me a tad more control and speed.

I have never been more prepared for a canoe trip in my life. Thursday I got a tetanus/diphtheria booster shot and today I'm in to get a hair cut. [Shops are now allowed to be open.] I've been packed for weeks.

We have tacked on a couple of extra hours to get deeper into the interior. Our hope is to leave the tourists behind and head out into a little more isolation. Though my canoe partner reminds me that water is much the same anywhere. I was thinking I "just want to ge away from it all" - which means crowds of people. We head out Monday morning.

I like that Mohawk solo canoe - I've never used one. The chair looks comfy.

knifing J stroke

Roybrew

Yes lots of fancy paddle strokes. I would guess it's like knots, you learn what you will use the most. The rest of them are good to know and I'm sure they serve a special purpose. I wonder how often people use them and don't know the names of them?

I like that little canoe for the small streams and hard to get to areas. I use it most often when I go to the river by myself. Sort of like a sports car.

So you be leaving Monday. Have a great trip, keep a journal and as always pictures.

Northern Dancer

Yes lots of fancy paddle strokes. I would guess it's like knots, you learn what you will use the most. The rest of them are good to know and I'm sure they serve a special purpose. I wonder how often people use them and don't know the names of them?

I like that little canoe for the small streams and hard to get to areas. I use it most often when I go to the river by myself. Sort of like a sports car.

So you be leaving Monday. Have a great trip, keep a journal and as always pictures.
-----> You are right about the strokes and everyone has an opinion. I use a hand full - just like you say. Loading up tomorrow and off on Monday. There are fire bands in the interior where we are going as the fire scale is listed as extreme. I will be taking along the mini gas stoves to assure we can cook if we can't have a fire. There are 160 fires burning in the province at the moment with new ones each day.

I will be using a photo journal and hope to share with the community when I get back.

Roybrew

Wait, a hair cut? I understand getting the booster shots, but a hair cut? Are you trying to look dashing or something? Ha ha.

Forest fires can be very dangerous and move in strange ways. Be careful. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

jason

fear no beer
Thanks Jason,
I'd bet you got a hot strenuous job. I worked for a landscaper after highschool, back in the early 80's. I love working outside, but I don't think I could do that kind of work anymore. My brother flew helicopter in the army and then he flew a medical helicopter after he retired from service. He retired from that a couple of years ago. He loved flying. I'd love to go for a ride in one but not for medical purpose, $50,000+ for one of those rides. Eeww.
Stay hydrated down there in the far south. Don't get eaten by a Gator or water moccasin. Stay in touch.
Definitely going through a lot of water. Work provides Pedialyte, but it often is gone within a week. It is kinda nice going into some of the swamps because even with the boots you can feel the cool water temp. Days like today are hard, with the afternoon rain it gets muggy, then when you get home and try and do anything outside it is hard to get the motivation. I got about an hour in of yard work though before saying enough.

You brother would have fit in. We used to have a few Vietnam War pilots. Those guys were straight up crazy. You really had to respect their skills.

On a side note, I'm in the middle of this book. Backcountry Lawman: True Stories from a Florida Game Warden ( https://amzn.to/3l0xcsf ) I cheated and got the audiobook version so I can listen to it when in the truck at work. Some pretty crazy stories so far for those interested in that sort of thing. The guy just talks about some of the more unique things he has done in his career.

Roybrew

Started a paddle making project. I made the clamping jig for the paddle shaft,IMG_20210801_124622379~2.jpg and cut out a template for the paddle blade.IMG_20210806_174459000~2.jpg The Cave Pro brand is what I've been using. It's done ok, I guess. I measured from floor to my chin so I could determine proper paddle length, but I had a problem with my belly getting in the way.

Cappy

Back from our train trip learned a bunch and luckily I was able to make it to the top bunk no er very little trouble and no one fell out. They actually have a strap harness on top for safety, Had fun more later.

I never thought about how many different strokes I use. been paddling since a kid no fancy lessons just taught by family all who [paddled. Showing off in my younger stronger days I sat in the front and one armed skulled and beat a canoe snob who was long stroaking

Roybrew

Glad you had a safe trip Cappy. We had side rails on our bunk bed. Dad put them on after I fell out and landed on my head. Hmm, maybe that's how I have become how I am?. Ha all this time I thought everyone else was strange.

It was nice and cool yesterday morning. I thought it be a great time to get on the lake or river. Then the sun burned through the fog and it got very hot and muggy.

Every one must paddle their own way.

Cappy

Started cutting grass yesterday it rained. dried pretty good so started mowing again ad it rained this time harder. Went out at 7 pm thinking I could do a bit more but the humidity was horrible. today its almost 11 am and finally looking like drying very late dew and stuff still drying so I am fixing to go give it another try. one train tip. All the videos you watch none mention actually how bumpy a ride it is. Even me used to motion had a tough time falling asleep and was woke up by rough bumps and sways, 2nd night was better I got a couple glasses of ice from attendant and filled them with the jug I brought.

Cappy

Rain every day I cut 2/3 of the back yard yesterday and it rained got the rest cut today and it really rained Now I will have to start cutting the front again tomorrow Tween the rain and the summer heat it is growing as fast as I can cut it. If it dries this weekend I am gonna finish it if I have to cut the back again starting to get aviated. Got fun stuff to do if I can catch up with the grass. More about trains if ya get a roomette check the car. there are super liners and view liners. view liners are much better rooms

Roybrew

Been raining most every day, except today. Hot and humid here. Been working on my shop a little at a time. Got to get this wall done before they bring out carport.IMG_20210818_184832416~2.jpg After carport set in place, I'm going to move boat under it and finish closing in my shop.

We went playing on the lake last weekend, early before it got hot out. Found a nice camping spotIMG_20210815_121958902~2.jpg Wife stated we should come back and camp here when it cools off a bit. Maybe next month? We could see the lakes dam in the distance. A safe place to leave a vehicle, and boat trailer, for a night or two. We had a good time just cruising around.IMG_20210815_124110522~2.jpgIMG_20210815_122527575~2.jpgIMG_20210815_122045705~2.jpgIMG_20210815_115605738~2.jpgIMG_20210815_112422639~2.jpg

Attachments

Northern Dancer

Been raining most every day, except today. Hot and humid here. Been working on my shop a little at a time. Got to get this wall done before they bring out carport.View attachment 3053 After carport set in place, I'm going to move boat under it and finish closing in my shop.

We went playing on the lake last weekend, early before it got hot out. Found a nice camping spotView attachment 3055 Wife stated we should come back and camp here when it cools off a bit. Maybe next month? We could see the lakes dam in the distance. A safe place to leave a vehicle, and boat trailer, for a night or two. We had a good time just cruising around.View attachment 3056View attachment 3057View attachment 3058View attachment 3059View attachment 3060
=====> Excellent Roybrew - always an enjoyment to see your photos, especially the water scenes. It's too bad that you aren't a rich man. You would be loaded down with new projects. :Smile2: