The Shoot The Bull Thread

jason

fear no beer
Friday we did some shrimp & chicken fried rice. Reminds me we need to do this more often. That is a 36 camp chef flat top.

Here was our little chicken setup for Saturday. We only did 5 roosters, put one with the meat girls as they are laying.

We use shrink wrap bags to store them in our freezer.

Had some other work I got done in the afternoon. Discussing how to enlarge our pen area for the animals. Wife wants to breed our rabbits for meat now.

Sunday we had a nice day of light ran on an off. Got the yard mowed both garages cleaned up.

Worked in the garden area yesterday. Moved some of our starter plants over. I've been giving my brothers little tiller a workout.

Got an interview for temp work at Home Depot tomorrow. Be interesting to see what it all entails.

Cappy

Thanks for showing ya set up looks good. I worked cutting branches up for the fire lit and burning all the small stuff. few broke and culled branches from citrus and plum trees makes for a good smelling camp fire got all the back cut and ready to continue clean up and weed eating tomorrow. I tended a pot of beans while piddling and they came out great. We had pieced out a big turkey and boiled the back bone ribs etc for stock that went in the pot of beans came out wonderful.

Roybrew

That's the first time I've ever seen chicken shrink wrapped. Do you freeze it after that? How long will it keep? Good luck with your new job Jason.

I've been picking at the canoe project every now and then. I think coming along ok. Made a few mistakes, but it is a learning process. I think my wood preference is making this a little bit more of a challenge? But it is nice when I can just run down stairs in my relaxing apparel and lay a couple of strips.

Cappy

Looking really good man. Nice having a man cave. No cellars in the soggy south so I make do with our courtyard and patio.

jason

fear no beer
That's the first time I've ever seen chicken shrink wrapped. Do you freeze it after that? How long will it keep? Good luck with your new job Jason.

I've been picking at the canoe project every now and then. I think coming along ok. Made a few mistakes, but it is a learning process. I think my wood preference is making this a little bit more of a challenge? But it is nice when I can just run down stairs in my relaxing apparel and lay a couple of strips.
Yes, we freeze them after shrink wrapping. It is almost like when you buy from the store, just not filled with water and not as neat and tidy. Food doesn't stay very long with our family. 5 chickens will be gone within 2 months tops.

So I got the job at home depot. I'm pulling orders for delivery and pickup. Spent about a day just doing training modules on the computer. Very fast passed, lots of walking. My phone says I'm doing about 15,000 steps extra a day then normal. Of course I got an e-mail from my night job saying they are going from 3-4 drivers to 6-7. The HD Job is supposed to be temp up to 120 days, so we will see the next few months go doing both.

Working on expanding our fenced area for our poultry. Turkeys really need to be moved out, they are getting pretty big. I have something I could use temporary, but they will be getting their own dedicated area soon. I also want to expand the run for the meat birds, and make a better area for the rabbits. Wife wants to breed the mutt rabbits for meat now. Need to make some nesting boxes.

@Roybrew I like the stripes you are doing with the wood. Cannot wait to see how it comes out. I'm guessing you have to seal it? I've never done a build like that. Have you decided on the sheen? Do you wax it after? I have only had fiberglass.

Roybrew

Thanks Cappy, basement is ok when it has a garage door. House was built in the early 70s, so it does leak some when we get lots of heavy rain. I keep a box fan and dehumidifier running most all the time, so things don't mold. It does make a great work shop.

Thanks Jason, when I get done with the strips all staples get pulled.
I have to scrape all glue, and sand hull on outside. Then a coat of resin, then fiberglass cloth, 3 coats of resin over that. You won't see cloth, it'll be clear. Then finish sand and then about 3 coats of polyurethane (varnish). I think varnish is used as a general term for polyurethane, but there is a true varnish. And then I have to turn it right side up, remove all forms and do all the same on inside. Going to take awhile, but I'm in no great rush.

Jason, do you free range any chickens? They would keep bugs ate up. Of course they may get eaten by predators. Maybe you can get a discount at HD since you work there?.

I hope y'all have a great Easter Holiday. Stay safe.
Roy

Northern Dancer

The canoe is looking really great Roybrew, I'm envious of your talent and skill. So...did you plan to give it a name and christen it at the time of launch?

Roybrew

Thanks Dancer, I didn't think about a name. Maybe wait to see if it floats. I think I'll put the wife in it first, see if it sinks, then run if it does. I pulled it out of the basement this afternoon to look at her curves to make sure it looks ok. Already calling it a girl.

Roybrew

It is one of Gil Gilpatrick designs, 16 foot Wabnaki. My wife got me one of his books a couple of years ago. She thought I would just enjoy reading it. I have made lots of mistakes, but I'm enjoying this project so far. I've got to get a paint scraper ordered. I was using to much glue when I started out eewww lots of scraping and sanding after strips are done.

How are things in your neck of the woods?

Northern Dancer

...I don't know - but sometimes mistakes are the mothers of new and creative ideas and sometimes foster new inventions. May the same be for you. But looking at the photos, one would never suspect any errors or admissions. Great and exciting stuff Roybrew. I like the building stand too - clever.

Things are peculiar in our neck of the woods for sure. I'm in health care so I'm considered essential. Our authorities are beginning to fine people who do not comply with health orders. In Toronto, it is set at $1000.00

On a funny note - after researching a new bicycle I ordered the same and paid the bill. Ten days later I got a notice telling me that my order had been cancelled and my money refunded. To my surprise in the explanation box, it read, NONE ESSENTIAL. :Frown2:

All my outings for June and July have been cancelled because of the uncertainty. I have booked the entire month of August hoping the environment will be sufficiently changed by then.

jason

fear no beer
Jason, do you free range any chickens? They would keep bugs ate up. Of course they may get eaten by predators. Maybe you can get a discount at HD since you work there?.

I hope y'all have a great Easter Holiday. Stay safe.
Roy
I cannot honestly say we free range. We have a run, and let them out into a fenced area a few hours per week; at least before I got another jobs. Our neighbors let theirs in the back yard during the day. Every once in a while we hear them yelling at the hawk to get off their chicken, so we typically let them out when we are in the area. Believe it or not, but goose are good best for bugs and weed eating. From what I read they were the best for bugs and weeds.

No discount at HD. :( Stinks as even though our rentals are not all paying we still need to do repairs.

You really have to post your progress on that canoe. I am excited to see how it goes. It is really looking good to me. I also think we all can pick out our mistakes but it is hard for others. I do that with my projects were others, being kind or not, do not notice them.

Cappy

LOL da wife ordered a new rocking chair from way fair she wanted a swiveling rocker recliner and they had what she wanted for a good price and they have good stuff as a rule so we ordered it. It is quarantined and we cant get it cause they wont let it across our state line ............non essential.

Roybrew

Thanks for compliments. I post progress as I go. It's slow go stripping. I think wood selection is the culprit. This canoe usually weighs about 60 or so pounds when made from white or Western red cedar, but the local wood I'm using is a tad heavier. I'm guessing it'll be pushing 80 pounds when done? I had to resort to asking my wife's opinion about a possible problem with my forms, strips or something just didn't look right. I have a slight dip between station 2 and 3. I thought about cutting a piece to fill the void, but maybe this would complicate things? She suggested continuing stripping it out since it was so close to the bottom. I agreed with that. Don't know where I messed up, but I think it will work out. It's not hard to make the strips follow this contour.

I disagree about a bicycle or chair being non-essential. Riding is good for you health that will help keep you healthy and out of the hospital, unless you wreck it then maybe a nice rocking recliner would feel good while you recover.

Wife slipped a cog in her back a couple of days ago, so she's been reading in her recliner trying to relax.

Sitting on porch burning wood. I was supposed to be camping this week. Nice quiet primitive island with nothing around except water, and of course the fishies [emoji226] laughing at me.

Northern Dancer

...it certainly looks relaxing Roybrew. I was saying the Daily Office at the back of our property the other day when I stopped. I listened intently and found myself thinking - "I don't hear any cars, delivery trucks, or those confounded noisy motorcycles; there were no planes above, no dogs were barking, and I didn't hear anyone yelling or even speaking. There was an uncanny absence of children." So...this is what peace and quiet are all about. Silence. I don't know - but I kinda liked it.

You are doing a great job - I know because I've seen some of the other creative stuff you have done in the past. A project as extensive as canoe building will have a lot of lessons to teach - and it seems to me you are a pretty good student.

Keep posting those pictures - I think you have a following.

Roybrew

Thank you. I had an accident with my canoe last night. I was trying to lower it, and it fell over[emoji50] It's ok tho I broke it's fall. I did crack a couple of strips, but it has been patched and won't be noticeable.

Northern Dancer

...it's still looking sleek. When you get it "painted up" it will look like a million dollars. One of those canoes that one drools over but can never purchase so too speak.

Cappy

Well it is beginning to warm up down here in the humid south and I cut the back yard and did some major trimming. Got hot and swampy so I decided it was time for a OLE FASHIONED BLEACH BATH. Put a cup of Clorox into a tub of very hot water and eased my lower half into it. After 10 minutes or so I propped my legs on the edge of the tub and slid down till all but my head was under then with a empty tupper ware container I ladled several qts full over my head several times. Then took a white hand cloth and toweled my self good before getting out. Always did this occasionally, alot more often in my youth a good bleach bath kills every thing.

Roybrew

A bleach bath? Makes sense I guess. Same thing they put in the city cement pond that everybody swims in.