The Shoot The Bull Thread

Northern Dancer

...apparently the smoke from US fires has crept into five provinces. Of recent date, the days have been sunny with gorgeous sunsets and friendly skies. However, weather experts are saying we are going to have a snowy winter in our neck of the woods. I can hardly remember summer already and they are talking about winter already. :Frown2:

Roybrew

We didn't have but one good snow last winter, and that was in November. Winters here are alot more milder then I can remember. We moved here in 76. We used to get more snow.
November 12, 1919.

It was cool out on the way home this morning about 58F. Supposed to get about 80 today.

Grandpa

It is so smoky from the fires in Idaho that grandma and i packed up and headed east. We are leaving Nashville this morning and slowly making our way back home.

Roybrew

Glad to hear it hear it Cappy. I hope you all don't have to many more this year. My brother was down in Louisiana once during a storm, not a real bad one either, but it he said it was awful. Said he ain't never seen nothing like it.

We went to Nashville and stayed a few days a couple of years ago. We live about 5 hours north in the upper end of the state. Saw the Parthenon and Grand Old Oprey. It was pretty cool. The traffic Sucked! We stayed near the airport with a clear view of town. I got up at 2am and looked out the window at the interstate, and it was still gnarled up with vehicles.

Roybrew

I do hope you and Grandma had a great time in Nashville Grandpa. Long drive for you. There are some interesting sites.

Cappy

Nashville is a great town to visit. Hope yall had fun and have a safe trip home. I am excited to report that we seem to be coming to an end of the 90's. First cold front tomorrow and a weekend in the 80s I look forwards to this every year and it marks the start of our time of the year.

Northern Dancer

...I can't imagine living in those temperatures year around. It's 65 in our region and the next high is 73 Friday next week. I've often wondered what it would be like to live in a warmer climate. Then, what would I do with all that winter stuff?

Trust everyone is doing well and making the adjustments to our new realities and moving forward.

Roybrew

It has been a challenging year. Lost my father at age 86 last Sunday. He was a great father, grandfather, great-grandfather and a good husband to Mom. He was an avid Hunter, Fisherman and outdoors person.

Roybrew

It has rained here all day. So I've been trying to stay occupied working on my canoe project. I have started finishing the inside.
after 1 coat of clear gloss polyurethane.

Roybrew

I just put the last coat of polyurethane on. It is finished. I weighed it on bathroom scale and it displayed 65 pounds. Going to give the poly a couple of days to harden before taking it out.

Northern Dancer

...it's gorgeous. It's not only a work of art but practical in the sense it will be a fine method of water travel. Congratulations! Amazing isn't it? From strips of wood comes a created craft to bring personal pleasure. You just have to put a brass plaque on it.

Roybrew

Thank you for your compliment. I am considering a small brass tag. I look forward to taking it out. I have never been in a wood strip canoe, and have only been in 3 different canoes in my life, Mohawk solo, Mad River journey156 and a Coleman Ram X.

Roybrew

Nice evening sitting on porch watching the sunset before going to work.
I've got to quit forgetting the marshmallows.

Northern Dancer

...a "campfire is a campfire" and it stands on its own merit. [Or is that on its own burn?] Then again - cinnamon bannock, popcorn dusted with smarties, hot dogs or sausage, or maybe a grilled cheese, a steak cooked to perfection [though I prefer all eatable pork chops], pot roast, stew.............etc. etc.

Cappy

Well I picked up our boat yesterday it was sporting a new top and a few upgrades and maintenance. 2,200$ and we set for fishing season now through spring. Going ride today and check ot a couple of our favorite launches and see how they faired through the storms and plague and such I will let yall know.