The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

Roybrew

So far 2023 has been uneventful, and I like that. It's the typical gray January weatherScreenshot_20230111-195309-799.jpg I guess it's to be expected and is normal for around here. I'm looking forward to camping and now it is time to start planning. Maybe my brother and I, and maybe a friend or 2, late March or early April. Fishing is a big part of our camping.

My wife and I sometime in May when the weather is a little warmer. Maybe we'll camp near some hiking trails. I'd like to be near a lake also, but sometimes it's hard to get the best of 2 world's.

How's your alls year starting out? and are you making plans also?
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Oh yeah, all that old weather we had a couple of weeks ago, froze over the river near Virginia IMG_20221225_140618623_HDR.jpg Went fishing with a couple of buddies closer to home where the river wast frozen. Caught a couple of walleye. IMG_20221230_124817_01.jpg yum yum [emoji39]

I'm progressing slowly on my cabinet build.IMG_20230107_132915498_HDR.jpg Working on the doors this afternoon. Looking forward to getting it done and then maybe building another canoe [emoji1629].
Roy

The Great Outdoors

jason

fear no beer
So far 2023 has been uneventful, and I like that. It's the typical gray January weatherView attachment 3882 I guess it's to be expected and is normal for around here. I'm looking forward to camping and now it is time to start planning. Maybe my brother and I, and maybe a friend or 2, late March or early April. Fishing is a big part of our camping.

My wife and I sometime in May when the weather is a little warmer. Maybe we'll camp near some hiking trails. I'd like to be near a lake also, but sometimes it's hard to get the best of 2 world's.

How's your alls year starting out? and are you making plans also?
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Had a nice cold snap, but back to shorts weather. Trying to get caught up on the outdoor chores but never seems to end. Have to travel at end of the month for CEU's for work. Next month is a trip for sons surgery. Wife wants to head back to Georgia in the spring somehow. Will have to wait and see how things are after the surgery however. Chickens have been ordered and should be here end of March as they are sold out for a while. Otherwise its pretty quite here.

Roybrew

Florida is great this time of the year. When my parents would migrate to Florida for the winter, we would go down there to visit, about February, wow was it ever nice. They'd stay a little south of Tampa on the gulf side in a retirement RV park. In the morning when the sun come up it looked like a big ball of fire.

When they quit migrating and stayed here in the winter, Dad and I went camping at EG Simmons Park, down there on Tampa Bay. It was the end of February. Mid to upper 70's every day. Beautiful clear skies for our 6 days camping trip. Get up in the morning, eat breakfast, and go fishing. We had a great time.

Well to the here and now, weather is a bit unpredictable. Partly cloudy 60 degrees and windy. Took a walk the other day when the rain stopped IMG_20230123_174319176_HDR.jpg sun peeping under the clouds when it was settingIMG_20230123_174528001_HDR.jpg the hill behind the the neighborhood looked a blaze.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Oooh I'm sick. I got the creeping crud. I noticed I didn't quite feel right evening before last. Not bad feeling, just a little off. So I went to work that evening. Luckily I don't work in close proximity to anyone. Got home at 7 and up at 11. Ooh I felt awful. Trip to the Dr. office confirmed I had it, and of course a note excusing me from work. I sat in my recliner with a pile of blankets over me, chilling to the point of having my hands cramp. After 5 hours of that I started to warm up, and then I had a head splitting head ache for another 3 hours. Up at 5:30 this morning and feeling pretty good. Went down stairs to fill my oil lampIMG_20230128_052439179_HDR.jpg. I like sitting at the table, in the mornings, with my oil lamp burning, and posting boring stupid stuff like this. Maybe the day or two I can get back to work on my cabinet project. On my work bench is one of my shelves that is ready to glue together.

I hope everyone is well.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Time to go back to work. Been working on my cabinet build for past couple of mornings. To wet and cold outside, so the warm shop has been niceIMG_20230202_105236687_HDR.jpgIMG_20230202_114913449_HDR.jpg got everything made, so now it's assembling, fitting, sanding and then applying a finish. Another couple of weeks..... probably. Going to check on vacation tonight when I get to work. Camping time coming up. I hope everyone is well.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Laid out of work yesterday to go fishing with my brother. It was an awful day.

First off his motor battery was too weak to start his outboard. No problem, we'll take the one off my truck to use. Worked fine for awhile. Maybe my battery is getting a little old and weak itself? We were a couple of miles out, and the battery didn't have enough power left to start the motor. Oh well, no big deal he had a brand new powerful electric trolling motor mounted on the front of his boat, that should run close to 3mph. That thing runs on 2 big batteries. Well, it did pretty good for about a quarter of a mile. Uhn it was moving us slowly and getting slower. We got within a half mile of the boat launch, and all we had to do was cross a wind swept channel, follow the bank into the wind, round a long rocky point and then the wind should be in our favor. We could see the prop on the electric motor turning, slowly. My brother exclaimed there was no way we'd make it. I grasped the only paddle we had on board, standard equipment aboard a motor boat, and I dug in to the cold water with all I had. We made it across to the other side with out losing to much ground to the strong wind. Now we jumped out into the knee deep water to tow the boat into the wind toward the long rocky point that we had to round. Walking the boat wasn't very hard except we kept sinking in the mud every here and there. At one time I sunk down to my rear end[emoji50]I'm glad I was hanging on to the boat so I could pull myself up, then I realized I had my phone in my pocket. I pulled it out and noticed it was on and looked ok, thank goodness, so I laid it on the seat in the boat and we continued our trek up the shore line. Made it around the point and drifted the last 200 yards to the boat launch. We were wet cold and worn out. I backed the trailer in, loaded the boat then pulled along side my truck to reinstall my mostly dead battery. After a quick hook up with the jumper cables, my truck fired up, and we off to a local restaurant. My brother was heart broken. All three of his batteries have felled, severally. Never have we ever had to walk a boat. My phone was dead. It must've took on more water then I thought. What a horrible day it was.

A bag of rice and 24 hrs later, my phone is back in service, thank goodness. My brother had his batteries checked and ended up replacing all three of them.

I'm so glad it didn't up worse. If we didn't make it across the wind swept channel, we would've been blown about a mile away to another shoreline where we would've had to call for a tow $$$? If my phone would've not come back to life 500$. Uhg

What a fishing trip.

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

Laid out of work yesterday to go fishing with my brother. It was an awful day.

First off his motor battery was too weak to start his outboard. No problem, we'll take the one off my truck to use. Worked fine for awhile. Maybe my battery is getting a little old and weak itself? We were a couple of miles out, and the battery didn't have enough power left to start the motor. Oh well, no big deal he had a brand new powerful electric trolling motor mounted on the front of his boat, that should run close to 3mph. That thing runs on 2 big batteries. Well, it did pretty good for about a quarter of a mile. Uhn it was moving us slowly and getting slower. We got within a half mile of the boat launch, and all we had to do was cross a wind swept channel, follow the bank into the wind, round a long rocky point and then the wind should be in our favor. We could see the prop on the electric motor turning, slowly. My brother exclaimed there was no way we'd make it. I grasped the only paddle we had on board, standard equipment aboard a motor boat, and I dug in to the cold water with all I had. We made it across to the other side with out losing to much ground to the strong wind. Now we jumped out into the knee deep water to tow the boat into the wind toward the long rocky point that we had to round. Walking the boat wasn't very hard except we kept sinking in the mud every here and there. At one time I sunk down to my rear end[emoji50]I'm glad I was hanging on to the boat so I could pull myself up, then I realized I had my phone in my pocket. I pulled it out and noticed it was on and looked ok, thank goodness, so I laid it on the seat in the boat and we continued our trek up the shore line. Made it around the point and drifted the last 200 yards to the boat launch. We were wet cold and worn out. I backed the trailer in, loaded the boat then pulled along side my truck to reinstall my mostly dead battery. After a quick hook up with the jumper cables, my truck fired up, and we off to a local restaurant. My brother was heart broken. All three of his batteries have felled, severally. Never have we ever had to walk a boat. My phone was dead. It must've took on more water then I thought. What a horrible day it was.

A bag of rice and 24 hrs later, my phone is back in service, thank goodness. My brother had his batteries checked and ended up replacing all three of them.

I'm so glad it didn't up worse. If we didn't make it across the wind swept channel, we would've been blown about a mile away to another shoreline where we would've had to call for a tow $$$? If my phone would've not come back to life 500$. Uhg

What a fishing trip.

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

I never lay out of work. Been there 30 years and might've missed a total of 5 days.

The Great Outdoors

Northern Dancer

I never lay out of work. Been there 30 years and might've missed a total of 5 days.

The Great Outdoors
----->There are not many who can make a statement like that. For some, they will not get the opportunity to work in one place for that long either. I salute you. The constant cry of employers is the rate of absenteeism.

Roybrew

Thanks. I am my father's son. Get a job that you can afford to pay your bills and maybe a little extra to put back.

Any how, took my usual walk this evening and took picture of sun setIMG_20230223_181341326_HDR.jpg 6:15 pm. Last month on the 23rd here was picture taken at 5:45 pmIMG_20230123_174319176_HDR.jpg. Day light is getting longer. Awfully warm for this time of yearScreenshot_20230223-175918-358.jpg it was the mid 70s yesterday. IMG_20230223_183038661.jpg Easter flowers in my yard, blooming thier heads off. I know we are going to be slapped with some cold weather, but I'm sure loving this warmer temperatures.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Cappy

Will be back posting regular soon aint forgot yall This month my Medicare with a great part c supplement kicked in honestly been postponing it till now. first to eye doc who sent me to eye surgeon on acounta cataracts next GP apt for pre eye surgery thats Monday. My birthday. Then heart do apt I may need a pacemaker but I will try to get him to let me try light exercise for a month or 2 Come what may I am struggling to get my get my getty up back. Honestly much better than a year ago when damn near died. Weathering the storm. Beginning as I improve I will be able to post more out door activities as I can.

Roybrew

Well Cappy, glad to see you on line. My Mom had cataract surgery, it pretty much corrected her eye sight also. Sounds like ya gotta little ticker problem. Science in medical has come a long way. You hang in there you old Cajun. This site just ain't the same with out ya.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

Cappy, your birthday day is Monday? Ah ha Your a Pisces. Screenshot_20230225-174701-281.jpg My Dad was a Pisces, he would've been 89 yesterday. Some of your earlier postings sound similar to how he was.

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

I'm going to call it done. I have dedicated to much time it. IMG_20230226_153458925_HDR.jpgIMG_20230226_145755624_HDR.jpg I am ready to devote my time to camping, fishing, canoeing and anything to do with outdoor stuff.
Roy

The Great Outdoors

Roybrew

After I finished my cabinet project, I took the boat out for a little fishing and running. It was a pretty day to be on the lake. After exploring a small island, I jumped back in the boat to find some fish [emoji225]. When I pulled up on the little red shifter lock, located under the throttle handle, I heard a "Crack! And then I noticed I couldn't put the boat in gear. I broke the plastic locking mechanismIMG_20230311_175439249_HDR.jpgIMG_20230309_181140381_HDR.jpg [emoji50]. View attachment 3957View attachment 3958 yep that red plastic thing is supposed to be in one piece. I had a couple of miles to go to get back also. Little hard to paddle a runabout motor boat. B.O.A.T stands for Break Out Another Thousand. Uhn now how was I going to get back [emoji848]. I removed the motor cover and disassembled the shifter cable from the out board. Started the motor and manually pulled the shift linkage into gear. Luckily the motor idles well, old 2 stroke outboards usually cough stutter, kick and die like a poisoned cock roach. So now I had another project. I didn't know how this thing came apart, and it was very stiff before it broke so it was a good time to fix things. I couldn't stand the thought of spending 70$ for a new part so I made one. I have plenty of cherry wood on hand, so cherry it is.IMG_20230316_121622911_HDR.jpg I also had to replace the throttle cable $66. No choice with that.
I'll put it together tomorrow.
Roy

The Great Outdoors