Thermos that actually works?

woodsman

I bought about half a dozen during that past 4 years, but I can't find one that actually works like advertised. I'm starting to get sick and tired of having to drink cold coffee every time I decide to take a hike in the winter.

ppine

Forester
I have had a stainless Stanley thermos since 1972. Try preheating the bottle with hot water before you fill it with the desired beverage. A cover helps in extreme cold. Wrap it up in a blanket for below zero days.

Grandpa

My old metal Stanley thermos has been kicking around on tractors, in the milk barn and always in my pu truck for many years as well. Like Ppine says, warm it inside first and keep it wrapped.

Cappy

Da other ole geezers got it right on. I also own a beloved 30 year old green stanly that has been much used. They are right the trick is to poor boiling waterr in the thermos and pre heat ya bottle. From coffee to stews and gumbo's for lunch it last at least 12 hours of waarmth. I am way to greedy to hve ever tested it longer.

oldsarge

Three morons were sitting around chatting. One asked...
"What do you guys think is the most important invention"?
One answered..."I think it's planes, air travel has come a long way".
The other says..."I think it's the computer and the internet, now we hear about things as
soon as it happens"!
The last one says..." No, your both wrong, it's the Thermos"!
The other two reply back "The Thermos? Hows that?
The last one say's.....It keeps the hot, hot and the cold, cold...How do it know?

I'm going with the Stanley on this one!!!

woodsman

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll usually wrap my thermos for extra insulation, but preheating it never occurred to me. It's so obvious now that you guys mentioned it. D'oh!

briansnat

Platnium Member
I have a Thermos brand Thermax model. It holds about 20 oz but I can keep it in my pack all day while skiing or hiking in the winter and still have a hot beverage for dinner.

With any kind of thermos, pre heating is important. I always pre-fill mine with boiling water before putting my drink in it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Absolutely. I have to agree with ppine again. He may annoy people on other sites but the man has good gear. I have a Stanley that was purchased in the eighties. Great product. And for food, I use an Aladdin wide mouth, glass and foam insulated food bottle.

Put your coffee in the Stanley and your stew in the Alladin. You're good for the day.

Mudder

+1 on the Stanley recommendations. And the pre-heating/pre-cooling.

The "Bubba" brand is good stuff too.

I have a black 1.1 quart Stanley (with an ex company's logo on it) and it keeps stuff cold or hot for at least 12 hours. I'd make my coffee at night and put it in the Stanley for morning - still steaming hot.

Walmart has a 1.1 quart combo package that includes a smaller "soup" thermos for around $25 on the shelf at my local WM. I think I'll pick up the combo pack next time that I'm there.