Things you need for wilderness survival

Wild Bill

Personally I never go camping without my hunting knife. Its more of a mini machete than a knife but it is great for all sorts of stuff like skinning deer, cutting small branches off of trees and sparking my flint stone for a fire.

That's another thing I always have, my flint stone. It takes some getting used to but I like it because its light and compact and I don't have to wonder whether or not its going to work.

What are some of the other essentials you take with you on a camping trip?

2coastcamper

I carry with me a multi-tool. One of those with different knife blades and pliers and such. It's pretty compact, and fits easily in my front or back pocket.

katharina

What are some of the other essentials you take with you on a camping trip?
This is a really wimpy answer, but I wouldn't want to forget ibuprofine and pepto bismol. And they have sure come in handy. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

southerngal

That's not wimpy Katharina that's smart. I always take a first aid kit with us with bandages, alcohol, neosporin and some over the counter meds.

katharina

Yeah, that's not a wimpy answer. I also bring benadryl. It's good for allergy relief, for everything from bee stings to poison ivy contact.
Benadryl is great and I never thought of that... yes for bee stings it would be essential. And considering my daughter has a lot of allergies (not to bees that I know of, though) I guess I should always carry that stuff with us on any kind of trip.

Wild Bill

There are no wimpy answers when it comes to survival. Ibuprofine and benadryl aren't on my list, but still that doesn't make them any less valuable. Survival is all about just that, surviving. Whatever you need to bring in order to survive in the wilderness IS essential.

Northern Dancer

Rock bottom things you need for wilderness survival -----> Shelter from the elements, Fire to keep warm and safe, Water to stay alive, and Food of some sort. On top of that is a mindset that keeps your thoughts and thinking in check and prevents freak out. :Smile2:

ppine

Forester
ND has the right idea.
For survival, some warm clothes, a sleeping bag, a tarp, some food and a way to start a fire.