To early

JDSport

I let my son go to my parents house for a couple days. I called him last night and asked what he did. He tells me "papa took me hunting". He is 5!!! I understand that it is bow season and my dad lives on 40 acres and he was in a blind BUT STILL! I think it is a little early yet, and I don't know how to approach my father about it.

lbean

I think you just have to be honest with him. My father took my 9 year old on a motorcycle ride. Yeah it was around the neighborhood but I really was not comfortable with it. I just drew the line in the sand and he respected it.

crosscountry

I would definitely bring it up with your dad if it bothers you that much. Really there isn't much harm in it if all he did was watch. With a 5 year old tagging along I am sure he didn't see much action on the animal front.

greensteelforge

Bow hunting is more of a "day in the woods" than hunting (especially with a young kid). It's definitely not right to take the kid without permission, but keep in mind that your son might have really enjoyed being out with his grandpa, and seen allot of little critters doing lots of interesting stuff that day. I'd start with the kid, and find out how he feels about it.

Erwin

I agree you should talk to your father about it. I would not dream of taking a child in the woods hunting at that age. A nature walk sure, but not with a bow or gun.

Seven

I would have not gotten upset with my father. He is very responsible and teaches hunter safety. My son is also one that can not be quiet for 5 minutes so I am sure their were no deer anywhere around!

primeguy31

this summer i took my 5yo "groundhog hunting" with me with a loaded .22 rifle. the responsibility of the gun was mine alone, and i made sure he knew the rules before we even left our home. he was very attentive, and followed the rules i gave him. we didnt see a single groundhog, but he hung on my every word about what we were doing and why; what to watch for, why i handled the gun the way i did, what the gun was capable of--both good and bad, and just nature in general. it was probably the best afternoon of my life! i understand why your dad took him.
oh, and my son is ADHD and a complete daddy's boy. he emulates me so completely that good, serious, proper teaching about something that his hero loves, is more than enough to overcome the ADHD. a responsible adult teaching a young one who looks up to them will blaze the best trails; teachers at school can't even compare.
while i agree that grandpa should have your permission to do anything with your child (i reserve that right with my parents, too), i don't think it was wrong of him UNLESS you wanted to be the one to introduce your son to hunting or grandpa has old-age issues, etc. as for the young age, believe it or not, the younger they get started, the better the safety rules and nature lessons stick with them. that's how i learned. it sounds as though your son was excited about it!
i hope i'm not out of line, but if it's a safety issue, i don't think your dad wants anything to happen to his grandson. go easy on him.

Tired_Sneakers

As parents, we have the right to decide what our kids need to learn and when. Anytime you leave your kids with someone, you need to let them know what things do you expect your kids to be exposed to. You have to realize that if the person is convinced they are right, you may end up minus one babysitter. The important thing is to talk it out in a nice way.

skippyb1

i know my dad took me hunting when i was 8. He let me take along a toy gun or bow to shoot at the deer or squirrels. they need to be taught early, but i don't think they should be allowed to have a real weapon until there at least 12.

paloma

I can understand your concern, but it seems to me that you are not comfortable with your father's sense of responsibility or judgment. Is he an irresponsible father/grandfather who would expose your son to unknown dangers? Maybe he just wanted your son to have some memories of being with him while he still can.

hunter44mag

As a Grandfather, I don't see the big deal. My dad started taking me hunting at 3. I think the motorcycle ride was across the line [ I ride ] because of the real safety concerns.
Let me explain my reasons:
You trusted your Father or you should not have left you son there.
Your son wants to be with/like Paw-Paw, he is one of his heroes.
You Dad went on his own land.
He took archery, not guns.
With the range limits of archery, what's the chance of seeing a deer or shooting anything with a small child?
You Son had a great day with Paw-Paw that he will remember.
Paw-Paw had a great day with your son that he will cherish forever.
Would you have questioned him if he had taken for pizza into town, in traffic?

Memories of my time with my Grandfathers are valued and will never be forgotten.

April

I started hunting with my dad when I was 8. My husband doesn't hunt nor has a clue on how to use a bow or shotgun! So it will take some convincing in our family and I am sure my father will end up doing the same thing. Just go with it I am sure your father is a responsible person and will take care of that grandson I am sure he adores!

BTBoop

I remember daddy taking us around that age and like someone said it is more a day in the woods. I do understand your worries though and agree with everyone else. You should talk to him about it, either he will put your mind to rest or you will be able to get your point to him.

guns4570

I surmise that you are a non hunter. Would it have made a difference if they had gone fishing? More people are injured fishing than hunting. I hope that I live long enuff to take my grand sons to Hunter safety and on there first hunting trip. My son in law has no concept of hunt and does not shoot. My five year old grand son will com to me every once in a wile and ask if we can go in my trailer. I ask him why he wants to go in my trailer and he tells me so we can go dear hunting. I hope that I live long enuff to teach my grand sons a few thing about hunting and being responsible outdorsman. They will inherit a gun safe full of hunting firearms.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't get this either. Your son is 5. He went out with his grandfather and sat in a blind while grandpa showed him what it's like to hunt for food. He didn't endanger the child. He just took him along. So what?

Are you raising your kid to be a Disney character? Are you a vegetarian? If not, where do you tell your kid the meat comes from? The kid is 5. His character is formed. Is grandpa your father? What beef do you have with him? Didn't he hug you enough when he was showing you the way things work? There are harsh realities in life. Do you really want your son to grow up and be a wussie boy?

I just don't get any part of this. I think it's stupid.

Kepper

Wanderer
A 5 year old will understand hunting better now than a person who is introduced to it as an adult. As long as the child isn't in a dagerous situation or isn't being "pushed" to do it, I see no harm.

My children hunted with me at this age and I hunted with my father and grandfathers at this age.

CozInCowtown

At 5 years old your dad didn't get much hunting done, in fact I assure you it ruined his hunt.
That being said I would doubt your dad or your son considered it a "ruined" day.
It was a great opportunity for them to spend some quality time together and perhaps grandad got a chance to pass down something to his grandson.
How cool is that??
I assure you when you are afield with a 5 year old it is teaching, not hunting.
Been there, done that, zero regrets, beautiful memories!!
Be easy on your Dad, consider yourself lucky you have a father who would spend his time with your son instead of doing something else without him.
JMO,
DC

Last edited: