Tool Kit?

Barney

How many tools does your kit have? I'm talking about a survival kit. List all the things that you carry with you and why? My list goes like this: axe, knife, multitool and a pocket prybar.

Judy Ann

A multitool and an axe live in my car along with a water filter, led lights, water, fire starter, coat, blanket and many items I haven't checked on in a few months. I probably need to toss the Mountain House meals. I have a bug out basket that includes an extra set of clothes and shoes and supplies for the old dog.

I think I need to go out and take inventory since there could be some things I won't need like the saw.

Gondor

Knife is the number one tool in my kit. If I don't have a knife I don't have anything else. I like larger knives so I don't bring axe every time. Multi-tool has its place in my kit, from time to time though.

Pathfinder1

Judy Ann;
A multitool and an axe live in my car along with a water filter, led lights, water, fire starter, coat, blanket and many items I haven't checked on in a few months. I probably need to toss the Mountain House meals.

Hi...

Are the MH meals too old?

onlightgear

A real survival kit IMO should be in a size of a small backpack and should help you survive a few days/hours until rescue arrives. It should contain at least the following:
A multitool
A rope
A bottle of water
Basic medicines
A fire starter
A torch
Some dry food bars
A sleeping bag

This is a survival kit that will really help you survive, the other kits that are marketed as "survival kits" are more like "gadget kits".
For example, If you dont have water or food what use will be your axe?

CozInCowtown

A real survival kit IMO should be in a size of a small backpack and should help you survive a few days/hours until rescue arrives. It should contain at least the following:
A multitool
A rope
A bottle of water
Basic medicines
A fire starter
A torch
Some dry food bars
A sleeping bag

This is a survival kit that will really help you survive, the other kits that are marketed as "survival kits" are more like "gadget kits".
For example, If you dont have water or food what use will be your axe?
IDEA!!
Instead of a sleeping bag use a small tarp?
Now, I live in Texas and heat is generally more of a problem than cold so that would be a consideration for you folks up north.
I generally do not wander far from home and could walk home in an afternoon 95% of the time.
I CHL a small revolver in the truck.
I have a tool bag with basic mechanical tools (wenches, screwdrivers, hammer, jumper cables...).
I always have a pocket knife with me...99.9%.
Everything I need to "survive" is at home (fly swatter, beer....)

DC

Grandpa

I'd make a list of what grandma and I have in our 72 hour kits stashed in our cars, but y'all covered a lot of it. However, grandma also has a set of cable tire chains just in case, and two pair of yak trax along with jumper cables and a 4 plex lug wrench with a suitable pipe for an extender for her little 110 lbs to jump on if necessary.

I also have a bunch of stuff including an air pump. But when we travel, we rely on good old SPOT. If we have trouble, push a button and help is on the way, whether 911 button for emergency, or send help button for family or AAA button for the vehicle help.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Knives, razor knife, two pair of pliers, crescent wrench, small claw hammer, screwdrivers, small set of vice grips, hex keys, file,, small saw, sewing awl, tape measure, bottle opener, and can opener.

Cappy

Since I do NOT have a survival kit I guess my answer is none. :tinysmile_tongue_t: As I go about every day life I have tool kits scattered among my boat, jeep, Suv, and camper. They are tailor made for the vehicle they are in. if the chit hits the fan I will get home in my own sweet time and using what ever I can find. Told yall I aint a survivor I just manage to keep living.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Pathfinder1

Cappy;

Since I do NOT have a survival kit I guess my answer is none. :tinysmile_tongue_t: As I go about every day life I have tool kits scattered among my boat, jeep, Suv, and camper. They are tailor made for the vehicle they are in. if the chit hits the fan I will get home in my own sweet time and using what ever I can find. Told yall I aint a survivor I just manage to keep living.:tinysmile_grin_t:[/B]

Hi...

Cappy, you just might be a survivor...!!

TDinVA

Outdoors Advocate
Without going overboard, it's a good idea to carry at least a small kit in the trunk of your car. I agree with Gondor that a knife is number one, but I also include things like waterproof matches, a foil blanket, snacks and some water.

TDinVA

Outdoors Advocate
Glad to be here

Thanks, Pathfinder1. Thanks for opening your doors. I'm sure I can learn a lot here.