Trekking out of the US

carmen

For those who have been lucky enough to do this, what is the best place you have went? We are thinking about a trip out of the country in the next five years and want something that allows good trek spots and also good relaxation too (not trekking but some city life too). How in the world can I narrow this down?

ppine

Forester
Carmen,
I have "went" many places. There is great hiking and trekking all over the world. Many places are set up for it much better than the US. Good examples would be Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Sweden, France and Italy. The Andes are good especially Peru and Bolivia, but also Equador and Columbia, Chile and Argentina. I would love to go to Mongolia or Siberia. Parts of East Africa especially Kenya and Tanzania. Or the RSA.

Australia and New Zealand have great trips in the outdoors.

Last but not least Alaska, British Columbia and Alberta are the most beautiful places in the world.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
One of the great ways to travel is a donkey trek. The critters carry everything and you lead them from the ground. Very popular in Europe but not the US.

Grandpa

Nepal has great treks. Porters carry the gear and you stay in Tea Houses at night with all the amenities.

Barney

Although it is very convenient I don't like usual treks. I like to pick a place and then explore by myself. I'm not adventurous in a sense that I like to get lost in some God forgotten place. I just don't like standard treks.

Riverflow

There are so many wonderful places outside of the US to go. I actually like Grandpa's suggestion of Nepal out of all the other ones. That area has always held my fascination, especially the idea of trekking into the mountains.

I personally haven't been able to go out of the country for quite some time, but I did visit some relatives in the Philippines a couple years back. While it's more known for beaches than hiking, there are a ton of beautiful spots to explore there, and depending on which part of the country you decide to go, you trek through rainforests in the morning and scuba dive for coral in the evening, then relax and watch fireworks by the beach at night!

carmen

ppine I did that when we went to visit the Grand Canyon and it was a great way to beat the heat not having to carry everything. A friend of ours lives in Wellington and has invited us to her place if we want to make a trip that far. I am still kicking around the idea of it plus a few parts of Europe and Nepal does sound interesting. Might have to put all of our suggestion in a hat and just pick at random. I know the trip will cost a little but we are thinking it is an extra perk of retirement, something that we have been saving for. :)

cabinfever

A better question would be where not to go, as the answer would be a lot shorter. I haven't done much traveling outside of the US, but I've read of fabulous hiking spots in just about every area on the globe.

carmen

I almost want to say the heck with it and check out Australia, it is one place we have never been before and the more I read the more I am falling for it. Then again a few of our friends have relocated (due to the idiocy of the US Government) and its always possible that we could retire there instead of just visiting.

Marlowe

Our best treks outside the U.S. have been in Central America. Costa Rica is my favorite because of the incredible diversity of climate zones. The mountain cloud forests around Lake Arenal and the volcano have some great horseback day trips. Hiking down the 400 plus steps to the bottom of the waterfall leads to a swim break in the crystal clear stream. I love it there.

Pathfinder1

carmen;

I almost want to say the heck with it and check out Australia, it is one place we have never been before and the more I read the more I am falling for it. Then again a few of our friends have relocated (due to the idiocy of the US Government) and its always possible that we could retire there instead of just visiting.

Hi...

One way to see a lot of Austrailia is via their railroad, which bisects the country North to South, and passes through Alice Springs.

Some brochures from them may give you plenty of ideas.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Many interesting places have been mentioned here. I'm not a world traveler by any means, yet I've seen a few interesting places...many of them courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Africa's Sahara Desert, Spain's Pyrenees Mountains, hunting in the mountains of turkey, visiting Greece's wine shops (lots of fun there!), skin diving in the Bahamas...and traipsing through so many islands that I now cannot remember many of their names.

Yet the island of Malta has a special meaning to me. Unknown to either of us until a few years later, my wife-to-be was vacationing there at the same time that I was there...!!

So...send for those brochures...the world is waiting for you...!!

ppine

Forester
I love the Australians, but their country is far away and it is much like the US. It is one of the only places where it is possible to go on a camel trek.

Grandpa,
You mentioned Nepal and tea houses with "all the amenities." People want to believe that but it is far from the truth. Tea houses are an important part of life in the mountains. They are very simple. Mostly stone they typically have a fire in the middle of the floor, but no chimney and little ventilation. They have tea and simple food like potatoes, bread with yak butter and not much else. Sanitation is an issue in Nepal. There are actually very few amenities. I considered traveling with some friends several times after seeing 1000 of their slides and hearing the stories. It is a long way to go on a cold camping trip. I would love to hang out with Buddhists and see the big mountains, but it is high and cold and above treeline. Often below zero in fact. It takes time to get used to climbing from 12,000 to 18,000 feet.

nunokazza

For those who have been lucky enough to do this, what is the best place you have went? We are thinking about a trip out of the country in the next five years and want something that allows good trek spots and also good relaxation too (not trekking but some city life too). How in the world can I narrow this down?
Welcome to Djanet , tadrart .. A magical open air region

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ppine

Forester
I have been to Machu Picchu. Wonderful place.
After thinking hard about the last few years, I firmly believe that North America has the best hiking, camping and treking in the world. If you want some different and remote, try Canada.