Turning farm into campgrounds

BGreen

My brother just inherited a huge farm that has several lakes and ponds. He's talking about turning the entire thing into a huge campground. Have any of you had experience doing something like that? Is it even feasible?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

It sounds like a beautiful place.

My son-in-law's family owns and runs one during the Summer (no day campers), and it's a full-time job...!! As in all year around.

Maintaining campsites. building new ones, keeping up the water and sewer systems, maintaining roads, bathrooms, rec hall, camp store, boating, docks, etc.

TroyS

It's definitely feasible, but it all depends on his budget and willingness to go through all the possible problems and headaches that will come with transforming the farm into a campground and after. Your brother might found this story about a family who did the same thing insightful: TURN YOUR LAND INTO A CAMPGROUND

jason

fear no beer
On a side note, I lived 5 minutes away from here Long Island Game Farm New York Zoo growing up. My dad remembers when this person started. Everyone thought he was crazy. Basically fenced in the area trapping some wildlife and started charging people to see them. The place was growing pretty big before we left, and it looks like they are doing pretty well still.

DMan

In the past, we thought about doing something like that but you need deep pockets to run all the roads, hydro and water lines etc. to make it usable for RVs. Then of course, you need to get permission, permits and lots and lots of insurance. We're still thinking.

Marshmallow

Insurance requirements are much different now than they were in the early days. I have a friend who has done something like this, but there are so many rules and regulations now. He took down his towers, his diving boards from the pools and lots of other features we grew up thinking of as part of the entire experience, all because of the liability issues.

rayne

This sounds like a great idea but an expensive, full time project/job. Maybe he should just hang on to the land and enjoy it's natural beauty and live stress free. Don't you think?

ejdixon

If you got all the money and the time and patience, I don't see why it's not going to be feasible. Personally, I'd go with what Oldsarge said: make it as a private place for me and my friends to go and do some camping by ourselves.