Unexpected dangers in the outdoors

Northern Dancer

I hear you and do the same. My rule is I share but I never loan out. After losing hundreds of dollars I finally got the message and so did everyone else.

ppine

Forester
Companions are important. In the earlier part of my career as an environmental consultant I was assigned to work with other employees. Sometimes they came from other offices and I did not even know them. I learned to size people up real fast. I had a lady from Texas A&M with a degree in range management that could not tell sagebrush from any other shrub. I was assigned a crew of lesbians once from Santa Barbara that knew nothing about being in the outdoors. A guy from Wyoming once started a fight and I broke his nose. I had Paiute Indian from Nevada that begged me to go to Arizona to work on the Navajo Res. He picked a fight after 8 days of working hard and I put him on a bus.

Some of these people had little outdoor experience. We worked in remote areas often with no trails or roads. I had to worry about these people getting lost. We worked in all conditions. It was a struggle at times. Then I became an independent consultant and hired my own crews. Oh happy day. It changed everything. In my last corporate gig, I insisted on hiring my own crews. I used to hire my friends mostly. It changed everylting.

Northern Dancer

...but somehow ---> you did it and it worked out for you.

But, I have to tell you, I've never had any experiences that even relate. Most of mine have been irritating at best with an occasional burst of hostility but nothing I couldn't handle. I've had experiences whereby people have been assigned to me [because I had superior expertise?] they said. I frequently found people had two glaring discrepancies. They had real problems managing their social life and the issue of any kind of personal discipline. There was some difficulty understanding the term, professional, and what that means in work life.

For those that came to me to challenge the great outdoors? A different kettle of salmon. It was fun - because this is not the vocation. Helping people develop new skills and adapting to the interior was a whole lot easier than managing a work situation. For one thing, I could always push off from the shore in a canoe and absent myself for a while. Or I could cross the lake and cook dinner and just relax for a time. :Smile2:

As I said, you have more than enough material to write a book.

ppine

Forester
Hi ND,
I have plenty of material. I have thought about it plenty of times. The problem is that you and I would be the only people that would want to read it. My uncle self published his memoirs. He had a fascinating life. I enjoyed reading it and so did about 8 other people.

Northern Dancer

Hi ND,
I have plenty of material. I have thought about it plenty of times. The problem is that you and I would be the only people that would want to read it. My uncle self published his memoirs. He had a fascinating life. I enjoyed reading it and so did about 8 other people.
-----> Then why not do it for yourself?

I've put some "picture books" together for my personal pleasure. I took out the photographs from the boxes that sat on a shelf for years. At the time I found a picture of myself when I was fifteen as a leader for the YMCA. I have a whole bunch of journals, [I use to journal my canoe trips] and now have them all in one place. I wrote memories of my career and life and assembled all my education stuff along with awards and recognitions. It was a big project but I really enjoyed it and sort of relived some magnificent times.