Utensils

Gondor

We often made utensils on the road just to make things interesting. Kids love it. Forks are easiest to make and spoons are a little bit harder. Obviously knives won't be sharp for any serious cutting.

Boboque

I'd rather bring something I can use with some confidence like a Case knife to spear food with. I have packed a fork and spoon with me. There's not much weight and it's handy. When we grill things over the fire we usually use green wood skewers.

Marshmallow

About the closest we have come is to use sharpened sticks for skewering items to hold over the fire. Oh, and the untangled clothes hangers we use for cooking hot dogs and roasting marshmallows come immediately to mind.

CozInCowtown

I'd rather bring something I can use with some confidence like a Case knife to spear food with. I have packed a fork and spoon with me. There's not much weight and it's handy. When we grill things over the fire we usually use green wood skewers.
It is an interesting idea. Probably a great way to spend some quality time with the kids learning something new and interesting!!
We 5th wheel camp mostly so plastic works great for us.
+1 on a good case knife!!
DC

Barney

I presume you made them from wood. We did that a couple of times and it was a lot of fun. But I'm always carving something on the road.

Gondor

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention the material. Of course, carved from wood. Once the kids pick up the technique of sharpening a stick watch of for the next month cause they will try to sharpen anything wooden they find in the house.

RingTwist

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention the material. Of course, carved from wood. Once the kids pick up the technique of sharpening a stick watch of for the next month cause they will try to sharpen anything wooden they find in the house.
Oh man, I can only imagine.

I prefer to just take utensils with me, but it would be fun to try my hand at carving some.

carmen

We end up with plastic too instead of home or camp made, but then again my guy works for a plastic factory and he knows how keen I am on recycling too. I would love the idea of learning how to widdle though, sounds like fun practice here!

ponderosa

We were 12 miles down the Salmon River on a backpacking trip once when we realized we forgot the little sack with the eating/cooking utensils. We improvised with freshwater mussel shells from the river, some old deer bones we found, and wood carved spoons/forks. We got by just fine on the four day trip, and it was kind of fun.

Ventura

That sounds like a fun activity to do with the kids! I would also think of taking plastic utensils with me because then I wouldn't be that upset if they got lost.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Recently watched some of Ray Mear's videos...very interesting. In one he is shown making a wooden spoon from a piece of "firewood"...by using mostly an axe.

He did, however have to use a concave tool for making the hollow part of the spoon...something that I don't think many of us carry...!!