Victorinox Swiss Tools

Jester

Are these still popular? I see a lot of people going to a fixed blade rather then a multi-tool.

Cappy

I have several multi tools cheaper versions collected over the years as gifts. I have them spread out hunting vest, tackle box, jeep, suv, boat, ya get it. I actually cary a gerber higher quality one in my pocket. The thing to remember about multi tools is that they can do several different things none of them very well. knife file screw drivers etc. are purely to get ya out of a bind or be handy when ya need one but none of them are really good. If you plan on needing a good camp knife ya better bring one. The multo tool in a pinch but it aint a good performer just handy.

Bojib

I still like my Swiss Army Knife. It is lighter than some/most of the plier style multi-tools. Doesn't need it's on sheath like a fixed blade. Easy to pack in a pocket, or drop in a day pack, or other pack bag.

Oddly enough though, I find the mini versions to be the most useful. They have the knife blade, the scissors, and the tweezers, the items I use most often. Really handy for geocaching actually.

Not that the other knifes/tools don't have their place, but I have always liked my swiss army knives for their general purpose usefulness.

Cappy

Funny you should mention the pliers cause that is what made me retire my swiss and pass it on to a God son. That is by far the most used tool on my multi tool. The long nose pliers with side cutter is very handy for a country boy and the reason I carry a multi tool along with my pocket knife. Being a fisherman and general country boy anything from hook maintenance and line snipper to squeezing the clamp on the fuel line on my jeep to change a filter, also handy to grab hot things offn the camp fire.

ppine

Forester
I just went backpacking and brought a Swiss Army knife a girl gave me in about 1970. Maybe it is just a habit. I like the multi-tool. The pliers do change everything.

Grandpa

I always carry a multi-tool backpacking. Primary use is the pliers for hot pots. I always use my benchmade folding knife for knife work keeping the multi tool knife razor sharp for emergencies.

Cappy

LOL I had forgotten this till I just looked to make sure. A while back I broke the knife blade off my gerber multi tool, I still carry it cause I don't really use the knife blade, broke it by accident prying with it instead of one of the other tools silly me.

beemerphill

Are these still popular? I see a lot of people going to a fixed blade rather then a multi-tool.
The large ones are very handy for almost everything, but are kind of big for a lot of us who don't get out that much anymore. I still keep a few around for outdoor projects, but usually carry a little one for day to day chores. The one that I carry is getting to be a little on the pricey side, but is probably one of the better ones out there.

http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/index.php?src=directory&view=Products&submenu=Products&category=MULTI-TOOLS&query=category.eq.MULTI-TOOLS&refno=17&srctype=Products_detail

Leatherman also makes a couple of these smaller tools that are handy for most tasks but still small enough to carry in a pocket. Some of the imports are probably pretty good, but I have had no experience with them.

MacGyver

I found the Victorinox SwissChamp a great addition to my tackle box when fishing but not as useful while camping. It saved a lot of space in the tackle box because it replaced the pliers, the screwdrivers and hook remover I used to carry and it fit in one small lure compartment. For camping though, I always seem to need more robust tools.

On a sad note, Victorinox seems to have gone the way of most companies, making their products cheaper and cheaper. The new magnifying glass looks like a bubble gum machine toy, the Philips screwdriver isn't as finely machined and the scissors don't seem quite as good as they used to be. I'd bought a third SwissChamp with the sapphire handle because I thought it would be cool to have something a little out of the ordinary red or black handle and the new knife is a disappointment.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have the basic Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. I have carried it since it was given to me by a dear friend in 1980. It is still one of the best tools I have and I use it daily.