Vintage Kelty Pack

kabwfr

Vintage Kelty backpack

I am not a hiker myself but I have acquired an incredible vintage Kelty backpack. This pack was used but not abused. From all of my research I think it might be one of the original packs made in the 50's. It has everything including a whistle, compass and even the heavy mittens! Also in the bag were a couple of canteen covers, one of which is dated 1951. There are patches on the outside from 9 different parks. From reading a few comments here it sounds like a few people still prefer the original, vintage equipment. As I won't be using it I was hoping someone might be interested in it. Someone who can appreciate it. Maybe point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Newanderthal

The first pack to make it to the summit of everest was an ugly external frame.

Not everything has to be sleek, streamlined, and fancy. Stuff just needs to work.

Bojib

This thread reminded me of an old external frame backpack at my parents house.

I wonder if it's still there.

I don't remember the brand of it though. I just remember the pack part of it being orange. Probably a 70s era.

tramp

I still use my kelty trekker ext. Frame from time to time. You got to love all those ext. Pockets. And the water bottle pocket up high where you can reach over your sholder an grab it and put it back is great. Better than down at the bottom. Its heavy ! But its a dump truck of a pack. The more you put in it / the heaver it gets the better it likes it. It is my heavy haul go to pack. I love my ULA catalyst , but my trekker is an old friend.

ppine

Forester
I relish canoeing because it tends to be a traditional sport. I paddle a 1951 Old Town in wood and canvas, and use old Duluth canvas packs with tump lines. I bring an old axe, and paddles made in the shop. Sometimes I put on the buckskins and old Voyager clothes. It is living history.