What do you like best about camping

Penelope

My favorite part of going camping is listening to the crickets as they chirp outside my tent. I enjoy looking through the top of my tent at the stars above me. It is times like these that I realize just how enormous our world and the universe are.

What do you like best about camping?

Grandpa

We camp different ways and I have preferences for each. For car camping, the smells, :tinysmile_fatgrin_tand grandma's dutch oven cooking :tinysmile_fatgrin_tare tops followed by nice cool sleeping weather.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

For the horse packing, the comraderie, :tinysmile_fatgrin_tfood,:tinysmile_fatgrin_t and beautiful scenery :tinysmile_fatgrin_tare all great.

Then comes backpacking. Ahhhh those freeze dried meals:tinysmile_tongue_t:, the aching muscles,:tinysmile_tongue_t: the limited gear:tinysmile_tongue_t: all add up to the best camping of them all.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

If they can build a road through it so lots of people can drive around, they call it a national park. But if it's too rugged and remote for a road it is only a wilderness. Out here, the scenery and animal life in the Sawtooths, the Frank Church, the Jedediah Smith, and all the various Wilderness' in the Wind Rivers pretty much surpass most National Parks.

woodsman

I enjoy the fact that I can pick up my pack and go places only a few people can and will try to reach. When the city starts getting too claustrophobic for my tastes, then the only refuge I can find is up in the mountains as far away from civilization as I can get.

Last edited:

WillaMarie

I would say just being outdoors all the time and listening to the night sounds at night. We live to camp near a lake or large pond so we can do some fishing. Nothing like fresh fried fish over a campfire.

bsmit212

Just being away from people that are too warped up in their phones and lifes to care about other people. And then like Grandpa, kinda depends on the trip. When I am on the AT I love being in the shelters at night talking with other hikers, exchaning stories of places we have been and things we have seen. One great night in recent memory I was camping at a U shaped lake in north GA and the site was pretty much in the middle of the U, and we had the most wonderful symphony of bullfrogs all night.

ChadTower

I'm an exploring type of camper. I love going to new campgrounds, hiking in new places, and most of all I love experiencing all of that with my wife and sons. My wife cannot hike but my sons sure can and we have some of the best hiking in the world closeby.

Maybe my favorite moment these days is arriving at the campground for the first day. Long drive, everybody is a bit tired and there is a lot of work to do, but that smell of 30 campfires hits your nose and it's like a switch goes off in your soul. Everything is good now! You're here!

oldsarge

The late night camp fires. Waking up to the smell of the outdoors. Just being away fro it all. It's been forever since I've been out though, I sure miss it!

TakeAHike

My favorite part of camping is just the being outside. I love hiking, boating, biking and tons of other outdoor activities. Late nights around the campfire are loads of fun too.

Hikenhunter

I like the time I spent with family and friends when car camping. I like camp cooking and the food, the fact that I'm outside, and the feeling of being free when I'm outdoors. I like to spend time teaching my grandkids about nature and respect for the land. I like teaching them skills that are fun to learn but that might save a life one day.Sometimes I like sneaking away just to spent time relaxing and thinking. When I backpack I like most of the above with a greater empasis on teaching my grandkids skills for backcountry use or when they don't go wth me I just like being there, the peace, tranquility, and the quiet that you can't get any place else.

Marshmallow

I like gathering around the camp fires, inhaling the smoky smell and listening to the popping the fire makes as burning wood shifts and falls. I love listening to the sounds my own family makes around me as well as to the laughter drifting over from other camp sites.

BGreen

My favorite part, by far, is the people you meet. We are at one particular campground all the time. The same people have returned, year after year, and we've gotten to know many of them well. Our children have grown up together.

ppine

Forester
Unplugged, outside with right people and good food. Simple life with nothing to go wrong. All God's creatures and ppine forests.

swebob

Camping for me is getting away from all the daily everyday life and have peace and quiet and do some fishing and just relax.

Gerry

I love the food cooked outdoors under the stars. You never know exactly how it's going to taste, but no matter what, it will taste wonderful after a full day of hiking, swimming or fishing. There's no oven or stove in a house that can touch food cooked over an open campfire.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I just love being outdoors, but I particularly enjoy finding a nice view and hanging out there for a few hours, even taking a nap.

The campfire at night with my favorite camping beer, Dale's Pale Ale, or a flask of Irish whiskey and a good cigar or my pipe and a book after everyone else retires for the evening.That is special.

And waking up before everyone else and brewing a cup or two of tea and finding a pretty spot to string my hammock, or just lay out my Thermarest and reading.

Those moments when I feel like I'm the only person in the world.

Last edited: