What Does Rust Do To The Steel?

CaverGroupie

Keep an eye on your stuff and maintain it. Do something at the first sign of rust. It is one of the benefits of a dry climate- little if any rust or mildew.
Yes, thank you, ppine, my husband gave me the same lecture when he found out.

We do not live in a dry climate. You practically have to check your knife daily, just because of the humidity. But I promise to be much more diligent from now on!

Now for the news. I tried the onion thing. I just stuck the blade of my knife in the onion and let it sit over night. The bad news is that the onion left some black gunk on parts of the blade. the good news is that it really did get rid of the rust, and the black stuff came off with a little scrubbing.

Mind you I didn't have rust so bad it was pitted or anything, just a little surface rust that wouldn't come off. So this myth is "confirmed."

Newanderthal

I'm not a metallurgist and have no idea what rust does chemically to the steel but I know that once it appears heavily you can throw away your knife.
As mentioned, surface rust is really just cosmetic provided you do not allow it to deepen. Deep rust compromises the structural integrity of the tool. Knives will snap easily once rust penetrates deep.

For surface rust, gently sand the surface with steel wool and apply Rust Converter. Your hardware store probably keeps it in the paint section where they keep some of the chemicals used for treating a surface before applying the first coat. Rust converter will turn the rust into a black coating that will prevent future rust.

If the rust is deep, toss the tool, buy another one, and remember to keep your metal free of moisture and lightly oiled. If you need a reminder, just look at the receipt and remember you wouldn't have spent that money if you had maintained your blades in the first place.

RJ Cooper

I trap full time in the winter and purchase used traps at conventions and such. Many of these old traps are rusty or rusted. I take a large container and mix 50/50 water and white vinegar. Removes all the rust in no time flat. Let it soak according to the amount of rust.

As for the knife blades, rub on straight white vinegar, dry completely, sharpen and then coat with Dupont Dri-Gun oil.

As another side note, the Dupont Dri-Gun oil is great on tent zippers too.