What fishing skill should be learned first?

misfits

Looking at taking the nephews who never fished before out onto a fresh water lake. Trying to think of what to teach them about fishing first to make it enjoyable.

Cappy

Having taught many family kids about fishing, I recommend starting simple. hook line and sinker under a float. Start with a small hook and worms and let them catch a few pan fish. They will learn on their own with just a little encouragement. Don't start with casting or any of the more complex techniques. cork and line fishing is best and try to put them on some pan fish unless they see the cork move they will get bored. Make it interesting for them telling them things as they fish Not sure of your skill level so maybe you can all learn together. What lake? where do you live any info you give can help us help you.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
I have to agree with Cappy, keep it simple for starters, Gills are generally quite cooperative when it comes to basic hook, sinker and bobber set ups.

Cappy

If they would tell us where and what lake we might could help more often tight lining for catfish is a good starter it is a good beginner for casting you are casting twords the middle and not to the bank

jason

fear no beer
I learned on a bamboo pole. Like the others have said, simple. Just tied a string to the end of the pole, a bobber and a hook. You can usually pick up a complete set pretty cheap.

ppine

Forester
yeah. Take them after some fish they can catch. The size is unimportant. In the West we have fewer warm water fisheries. Crappies are easy to catch with a red and white feathered lure where we have some. Some lakes are heavily planted with rainbow trout. For those I would use power bait and and slip sinker. The bait floats. The fish will take it without feeling the float. Working with kids can be fun, but you need the right kind of kids.

ppine

Forester
Teach them to cast at home before you go. Use a small lead weight with no hooks on it at first have them aim at a target on the lawn.
Teach them to be quiet when the fish. Teaching them patience is the hardest part.