What is the best initial hunting gun?

Lucia

I really want to start hunting. I would like to start with deer hunting. I was wondering why the gun I used was the best I am starting and it would be cheap? Thanks for the help.

GroundBoomLand

If you just starting out on and don't want to spend a ton of money, .270 caliber made by someone like Remington or Winchester are pretty solid for starting. Of course there are better guns but they cost a lot more. Also if you looking for a shotgun 1187 or 870 Remington are decent for the money. You can start out with those and then get nicer ones as you hunt more.

GB

Last edited by a moderator:

Cappy

I hope you realize buying a gun is NOT the first step to going deer hunting. First ya need to learn stuff that our fathers and grand fathers taught us. Where can you legally hunt? what are the local regulations and licencing requirements. Do some scouting and see if you can actually see a dear in the woods. Learn tracking sign reading and scouting techniques. Once you have picked a spot and scouted out a stand. Ask your self is your shooting range more or less than 100 yards. Once you decide your expected shooting range and what the humting regulations are come back ad we will be much better informed and able to help you make a decision.

I strongly recommend gun and hunter safety training and maybe considering starting on smaller game for the start.

HillStream

Animals most of the time are better than people
Remington 700 SPS 24IN 30-06 Springfield Stainless
The standard hunting model comes with a 24 inch barrel, which provides more than enough long-range capability for hunting and even a little long range competition shooting.

ppine

Forester
Listen to Cappy.
We started deer hunting in the third grade. We got out of school for close to a week. For years my Dad let us carry old firearms around. He never gave us ammo until we about the 7th grade. I got a Winchester Model 94 for my 16th birthday. It came from a police auction in 1966 and cost $40. I still have it.

ppine

Forester
The best first gun is a .22. Learn to be safe with it. Then you can consider something larger.
I have hunted with quite a few people once. They are not safety conscious enough.

Cappy

down in the swamps of my youth the woods were thick almost every one I know their first gun was a 410 shot gun usually a hand me down. BB guns and pellet guns not counting the 410 was every young boys start into small game hunting. Most of us carried a slug or 2 in our shirt pockets for just in case. Small game squirrel Rabbit etc was a daily after noon event. It did much for training in wood lore tracking stealth as well. My first deer was killed with a 410 slug that I quietly slid out of my pocket quietly cracked the ole single shot open got the 6 shot out the slug in and closed it with a click that made my heart jump and the lil buck look up, It is a memory forever blazed in my mind

ppine

Forester
I have about retired from hunting. In Nevada the easy to get tags are for big mountain ranges with a lot of walking and elevation gain. I really like elk, but that is a lot of work after getting one on the ground. I do not like the idea of shooting one in the evening and trying to hike out in the dark with a lot of weight. The last few trips it has been a relief not to shoot one. That probably means it is time to retire. I may hire out as a cook for a friend's elk camp. The boys can get up early and go chase the wapiti. I will make them coffee and breakfast and then go back to the bedroll. I will have diinner ready in a Dutch Oven when they return for supper.

ppine

Forester
Racoons are hunted night.
Some non-game species like coyotes can be hunted at night.
Wild pigs should be hunted at night before they take over half the US.

AK Hunter

If you are just getting started in hunting it would be good for you to take a hunting education course. Many states offer them.