What is your absolute favorite outdoor activity?

NatureGal

It could be just for fun or to get into shape, as well as other reasons. What do you prefer to do most?

For me, it depends on the weather. My favorite thing to do in the warmer months is to go hiking. During the winter, I love to go ice-skating.

Now it is your turn to share your favorites. :)

oldsarge

Anything that will put me far away from people! So busy now, I can't even seem to get time to go for a walk in the woods. Hiking is something I miss right now. Even in the winter months, just as long as it's not brutally cold, I like getting out hiking around a bit.

ponderosa

Backpacking. Dayhiking is also great, but I really love being able to get several days away from the car, other people, up high above the trees. There is just nothing better in my world.
In winter, I love cross country skiing. My little girls were able to ski a few miles last year, and we had so much, playing hide and seek in the trees, following animal tracks, and listening to the swans trumpet. I also like to leave them home sometimes to do bigger distances and tougher (more fun) terrain. In just a few years, they can join me for those skis too.

Grandpa

The only thing better than the solitude 30 miles from a trailhead is to share that solitude with friends or/and family. Twenty years ago, I would have said hunting, especially with my sons and son-in-laws, but now, just being out there is enough. And better when I'm with the right people.

1. backpacking/hiking
2. hunting

Many other things would be a close third.

Hikenhunter

Being outside is enough for me. If I had to pick just one I couldn't do it but taking naps in my hammock and kayaking/canoeing/tubing down a slow moving river would be up there close to number one. After that would be hiking, hunting, and car camping in no particular order. Even work is better when it can be done outside.

Last edited:

ponderosa

Flatwater paddling is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine, probably tied with cross country skiing behind backpacking/hiking.

Mudslide

Yardwork.....yeah right! Backpacking hands down, unless I have a chance to do some trout fishing the with my dad. I know those days wont last forever and he's getting long in the ol tooth, so those times are treasured.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Skiing, but it's so expensive.

Backpacking s right up there.
I'm married, and I understand there's this human reproduction thing that some people get to do. That sounds intriguing, and would be a fun tent activity. I need to research this more.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Hunting, fishing, rowing, trapping, hiking, camping...but those loved activities have become almost a thing of the past anymore.

Although I still do a few of those activities...my main forte now is doing sloth imitations...!!

BigSur

I miss going for hikes in the woods. Even though I could theoretically get away, I feel like I'm in a prison of work! Ahh! I also miss going to the beach to workout but that's another story altogether.

wvbreamfisherman

LOL! Been there! One time I drew a permit for an early season antlerless deer hunt on the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (Green Bank, WV).

It was a nice, frosty early October morning and I found a comfy spot at the bottom of a big tree with a view of a likely-looking area. I set my insulating seat cushion down and got all snuggled up just as the sun started peeking over the hill....next thing I know it was 11am!

Grandpa

This picture reminds me of a big buck we tried to harvest several years ago.

At one time back in the 80's, we had three 40 inch plus wide bucks within a few miles of here. Everyone in the county new about old moses. For 5 years, everyone (except us) made a try for him. He finally died on the front of a Peterbilt on the highway after deer season. Fish and Game was there immediately and got the antlers. 43 inches wide per what the Sheriff told me. Another big feller was called DL's folly because ole DL had two chances at him and emptied his rifle both times without hitting him. DL's folly ended up zigging when he should have zagged and a 15 year old boy was one happy hunter. 41 inches wide.

For five years, my nephews and I hunted the third monster. I could tell campfire stories all night about how smart that old buck was. No matter what we tried, he outsmarted us. He hung out high, in rough country and he knew every nook and cranny of it. One of the local fellers knew about him too so he invited a bunch of his out of state buddies up for a try. Of course, they imbibed just a little the night before the big hunt. Well, maybe more than just a little. One old fat kid had waaayyyy too much to drink the night before and early in the day, said enough of walking uphill, so he found a soft spot under a tree in the pines and went to sleep. About noon, hearing something, one eye opened, and quietly sneaking past was the monster. He threw his rifle up, boom, and that was the end of our trials against that big buck. So sad that such a monarch would finally meet his demise by a fat drunk kid who didn't even make it a mile from the truck. The buck was 42 inches wide, and had 14 points on one side, 16 on the other.

Barney

Answering this would be very hard because all activities become favorite when they are performed outdoors. :) I know it's a corny thing to say but it is true.

Cappy

I been thinkin bout this since I first saw it and I just cant come up with an answer I revel in being out side no matter what I'm doing if I'm fishing then das my favorite same with all other things. So I guess what ever I have the opertunity to do is my favorite at the time. Or just being out in God's amazing creation and enjoying what ever I am blessed with the opportunity to do.