What is your favorite camping breakfast?

3ofusnow

What is your favorite camping breakfast? We always have a big breakfast when we go camping so we usually have eggs, grits, biscuits, and bacon or sausage.

nomad

My favorite camping breakfast would be bread with fried egg and coffee. We don't have big breakfast because almost everyone is lazy to wake up in the morning. So whoever wakes up first will usually cook food that is easy to prepare like frying egg and boiling water for coffee.

Lightfoot

A piece of pork with grits and sausage. Sometimes we even throw some fried eggs and biscuits in there. A very meat heavy meal!

amanda

I love eating breakfast while camping. We enjoy eating things like bacon and sausage and toast. Coffee is really our most important item. :) Without it, we don't function.

sardonald

At least one day out of a trip we like to have a really big breakfast, bacon eggs, toast and whatnot. Some days we like to keep it to oatmeal with some fresh fruit added. But we alway need to get the percolator going. Next trip we're bringing some filters to eliminate the grounds.

Bradsalex

Don't you coffee drinkers know that stuff is bad for you? I usually cook the typical camp breakfast; eggs, bacon, toast, all over the fire. There's just something cool about cooking a piece of toast over an open flame.

failghe

We like to eat eggs, and bacon. Coffee is a must! I tried the peculator but received a old time stove top drip coffee maker for my birthday. Soooo much better :) Just something about being outdoors and the smell of bacon in the morning drinking a cup of coffee.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I haven't tried this yet, but it sure sounds interesting. I culled this one from a blog on another Outdoor site..."Ash Cake"...!!

Very simple, too. Using prepared pancake mix...mix up about a third cup of flour in a cup (or even in your hand), with a teaspoon at a time of water until it becomes the consistency of bread dough...keeping your hands "floured" to prevent it from sticking.

Then flatten the dough to about one quarter inch thick, and gently place it on a bed of wood or charcoal coals that are lightly coated with ash.

After it raises, turn it over. Soon you'll have an Ash Cake. Just top it with your favorite topping and enjoy (after you've blown off any clinging ash).

Grandpa

Would it surprise anyone if I said potatoes are part of that breakfast?:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

Well, ya want the whole recipe? Dutch oven style? or just the hashbrowns with the bacon and eggs.

ponderosa

Car camping, we like to have egg sandwiches on toasted English muffins with sausage and cheese. Backpacking, we love apple fritters. We make a batter similar to pancakes, but really thick and add plenty of chopped apples (dried or fresh). Cook it like a pancake in butter, and top it with a little jam (apricot is amazing). If you have a fresh trout on the side, you'll have the best camping breakfast of your life.

ppine

Forester
Baked French toast in a Dutch, hotcakes, or Tex-Mex eggs, spuds, salsa, cheese, peppers, onions, and tortillas. The colder the weather the more bacon is required. Coffee is a pot with no guts.

My grandfather Ray used to say "A breakfast without spuds or
oatmeal ain't worth living."

Last edited:

btatro

An omelette over the fire. We have a yearly tradition of using our giant cast iron pan to make an omelette for everyone. About 2 dozen eggs go in along with all kinds of vegetables, potatoes, and meat. Delicious!

mariaandrea

Hash, cooked in a cast iron skillet over a campfire so it gets a smoky flavor. Diced potatoes, onions and red peppers, with a little truffle salt and pepper, or paprika. Then, poached eggs served on top, with a side of cheesy grits. That gets us going.

Oh, and French press coffee.

Remp

Hmm, my favorite is some bacon with fried potatoes :) I don't like carrying eggs around, but I could imagine making an omelet... :p Oh, and of course, a good morning coffee! :)