What plans/desires do you have for new/changed equipment next year?

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Well, there's snow outside and the Jeep has been put to bed for the winter; so with the upcoming sales, Santa lists & deliveries, I figure its a good time to see what everyone wants... equipment/gear rarely shrinks and always evolves, it seems.

I recently ordered and received a Flip 4 portable speaker with carrying case. Less than enthused about its sound quality but its good enough to replace the now antique Sony transistor radio in the compact (Jeep) camping gear.

In an effort to make the portable fridge useable; I needed a good way to recharge the tent battery (tried solar but it is not compatible with my preferred, shady, campsite selections) so I ordered a Ryobi 900 watt (700 real watts), small, lightweight quiet, propane powered, generator. Received it and it seems to work OK... the proof will come next spring...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564

Picked up another Apache 3800 plastic case at Harbor Freight last week (more gear needs more ways to carry & store it).
https://www.harborfreight.com/apache-protective-case?cid=apache_overlay102018

In my perpetually ongoing search to find a good way to heat morning wash /shaving water, while camping; I ordered a compact, light weight, hiking, tea kettle. ...along with a dog bowl for use as a sink. ...should be coming in day after tomorrow... Pics to follow...

What are your gear desires/plans or is on your Santa lists?

Enjoy!

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Old ways are the best ways. I need nothing.

If there is snow on the ground, why are you putting your Jeep up for the winter?

I have an old tin wash basin like ranchers use. To wash up in the morning or any other time, I just put it right on the stove.

Cappy

with ya ppine I have a dish pan ad it is highly used for many things including PTA baths. for me thats pits tally wacker and arse For Peggy I will leave it to your imagination. The pan is great for washing dishes or arses and a number of other uses as well.

Roybrew

I broke my collapsible dish pan on my last trip, so I need to replace it. I've been wanting to make a more user friendly camp table with a cut out for dish pan, plate and flat ware holder.
Cooking when camping is great, but doing dishes afterwards sucks.
My current table let's the dish pan slide around every where.

I also need a better shower bag than the cheap one I bought last time. It's hard to fill with water and the nozzle leaks. I hang it above where I do the dishes.

More "Roy" time is what I really need tho.

Cappy

Like ya chair we use the same. What we like about em is the contact area with the ground. Those lil 4 footed folders sink down here in the soggy south

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
If there is snow on the ground, why are you putting your Jeep up for the winter?
Unless I go snow wheeling, up in the mountains (head up around 9,000 feet then do a normally easy 4wd trail with up to headlight deep snow... just to see how stuck you can get).
I don't normally need a Jeep in the winter, here in the hills (~6,000 feet) the Explorer is more than plenty, usually.

.. I grew up winter (snow, ice, etc) driving with open differential 2wd vehicles...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Grandpa

Nothing much on our shopping list for next year. Our old camp chef stove blew the cast burners so we bought a fancy new one for next year. I have two week long wilderness backpacking trips planned but still have everything including food already. Trailer camping with grandma will necessitate her walking through a few stores just to have an excuse to buy something ;-) but I guarantee it will be a want and not a need. I'm trying to downsize, not get more. When the herd shows up next week for the turkey day, we will be doing our best to send them all home with more than they came with.

Roybrew

Yes sir Cappy, I like the chairs for the back support and easier to get out of. I've got several of the cheaper ones that bow my back like a pretzel and then I have to flop around like a dieing fish to get out of.

Highest altitude around east TN is 5,000 to 6,000 feet, and that's in the Smokey's. Wife and I try to get up there when it snows. We dont get that much here in the valley. If we do get any it turns to ice, and is slicker than snot. When I was growing up we lived near the u.p. in Michigan. Mom would throw 4 of us kids in dad's old 2 wheel drive ford, and we would go town regardless of how much snow there was. Didn't bother her either, I guess we was used to it. I was the youngest so I would sit next to her as she drove, and she would pat my knee when she had to shift to 3rd gear, the ole 3 on the tree straight shift.

Lots of people around here are scared of snow. If the weather forecast calls for any dusting or flurry, they'll run to the store and stock up on milk, bread and eggs. Enough for 7 days at least, I don't get it. The hill-billy girl I married loves it. One snow flake and she's ready to go play in it.

Sorry got off subject.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Off subject is really my bad (I started the snow thing); but in the words of the song since "all of my rowdy friends have settled down" I rarely get to play in the snow in the mountains anymore.
My doggy dish/wash basin came ahead of schedule yesterday (unexpected!)
...as soon as I get done here I will go get the camping table and make/take a pic or two...

Enjoy!

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Here's a Pic;
wash shave and tunes 11 14 18 DSCF0316.jpg
Wash, shave (teapot and alcohol stove, for hot water, on the right) and tunes, in back, with the case sitting below the table...
Enjoy!

(edit); ...looks like I need to make a towel bar for the table... plastic pipe, probably...

Last edited:

Roybrew

Looks good. Yes towel rack would be handy. Do you shave when camping? I guess I better shut up, I do good to shave once a week, oh I only shower when I shave. Ha

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Looks good. Yes towel rack would be handy. Do you shave when camping? I guess I better shut up, I do good to shave once a week, oh I only shower when I shave. Ha
Yup! did the scruffy/fuzzy/bristle-y look/thing for a while but found that I just feel better if I washup every day and shave (at least every other day).
It helps before coffee in the morning, IMO...
morning coffee labor day 2016 DSCF0249.JPG

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Roybrew

I've been considering a new cot. Seen some at Cabelas that set low to the ground and packed up pretty small. I've got an older one that has the frame around it, and it's not very comfortable. I always feel like I've already got to much stuff, but what I have seems to be in-adequate.

ppine

Forester
Here is some good advice a heard a while ago:
"The secret to a happy life is not to get what you want,
It is to want what you have."
I have a great woman, 3 beautiful dogs and a great place to live. Sixteen yo Ford is a 7.3 diesel. I love Nelliebelle.
All of the important bases are covered.
The best accessory you can add to a boat? A good dog.

Roybrew

What? 3 dogs and no cats? What do your dogs chew on? I love dogs, but I have none right now. Of course we do have three cats.

My newest want is a down quilt that I have just started on.
I got a pound of 700 fill down, 7 yards ripstop nylon 60 inches wide, and I already had some old mosquito netting for the baffle material.
my kitchen floor has 12 inch tile, so it works great for measuring and cutting material. Except the cat wasn't much help.
measuring and cutting my nylon. I'm going to stick with 60 x 80 inches. 700 fill isn't supreme, but it's a start and I don't usually camp when it's in the 20s. 30s are fine tho.

Camping trip planed for next week. Couple of nights on a lake near Bristol. Got to get my quilt done by then.

I'm happy with what I have, and I do enjoy my projects. My wife and I have been together for 34 years next month. We are happy with each other...... um, well, most of the times.

Roybrew

Ooh that's raw. I know one thing, I don't have to worry about mice chewing on my stored camping gear.
he can lick his belly to.

Roybrew

it is done. Not as fluffy as I thought, but maybe find out how well it works later in the week. When I was sewing on it, my wife asked me why I just didn't buy one. If I didn't already have 80 bucks invested in it I would've just dropped what I was doing, and ordered one.

I guess sometimes all I want is the materials and time to make what I want to.

This is for Grandpa. Don't let the little round belly and fluff fool you. It's a killer.

Roybrew

Hello and welcome @Emmagoaround, yes my wife and I also made each other a promise of motivation. Got to keep going cause if you stop someone will throw dirt on ya.