What's the Best Lesson that You've Learned from Your Time Hiking and Backpacking?

ianscampbell

There's no question that time spent in the great outdoors can teach us some pretty serious lessons...and some not so serious ones, too. What's your favorite lesson that you've learned in your time hiking and backpacking?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bojib

I grew up in the woods, so I can't pick out any lesson in particular that I would say was the best.

I guess the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" is the best I can think of. It doesn't tell you what to prepare for, or how, it just says "Be Prepared". That pretty much covers everything.

I think the neatest thing I've learned because of my enjoyment of nature are all the navigation techniques I know. Besides the normal Map/Compass/GPS stuff I've learned to read trees, grass, clouds, stars, landmarks, etc., to know pretty much where I am and figure a way out when need be. Of course, that can also fall under "Be Prepared".

Bojib

Please tell us more about reading trees, grass, and clouds.
Well. If you know the basic direction of prevailing winds, you can see which way grass (tall grass, not yard grass) and trees are wind blown, or which way the clouds are moving. Of course thats on normal weather days, unusual weather can put a damper on that. In the northern hemisphere trees generally grow heavier foliage on the southern side, often easier to see without leaves on the tree, when you can see more branches off to one side. That reminds me too, satellite dishes point in a southern direction in the northern hemisphere. At night you can look at the base of clouds and often see reflected light from cities and tell were "civilization" is.

Those are a few basic examples of what I'm talking about.

Cappy

The short version...... a bunch of men go on a weekend hunting trip tent camping in the Louisiana swamps. washing powder in one qt jar sugar in another. After the first night of drinking and such stuff got kinda jumbled and spread out and confusing. This was back in the late 60's long before hi teck camping gear. Any way the coffee got sweetened in the pot big ole blue granite percolator(that I still own) Cause back then every body drank their strong black Cajun campfire coffee very sweet. Cept the sugar was powdered soap. True to form the first guy to the pot was my grand father who never said a word and sat there with his cup till every one else got up and got their.......coffee. One of those stories that come up again and again usually PROCEEDED BY...Yall remember da time................