What's the craziest thing you've ever seen a guide do?

ianscampbell

Some guides are incredible...others not so much. What's the craziest thing you've seen a guide do?

Last edited by a moderator:

ppine

Forester
Ride 18 hours to get a horse doctored. He showed up at 10 pm in the dark with beer and camera film. The horse was okay.

I watched a guy try to kill a whitetail deer with a knife in South Dakota that had been wounded. The deer hooked him pretty good and the guy said he would never try that again.

Pathfinder1

Hi...!!

Don't know if it was 'crazy' or not...But while I was building a commercial fishing lodge at Lake Iliamna (AK)...at a place that had only three year-around families living there...and their only claim to fame was that it was the most remote area in AK supplied by mail plane...!!

One of the inhabitant families consisted of the father, a White guy, and his third (Indian) wife...the other two were Alieut and Eskimo. He had one son and three daughters. The daughters were preparing salmon for drying, as feed for his dogs (after which came preparing salmon for drying for the families food).

The daughters were gorgeous, and a Packer ended up marrying one of them...!!

NOTE: In AK, you have Packers, then Assistant Guides, then Guides...!!

Like I said, not crazy, but interesting, eh...!!

Could tell many other tales just about that little place, but that would be getting WAY off topic...!!

Grandpa

While hiking along the Middle Fork of the Salmon, I stopped at a nice place for lunch. About then, along came a float group of several boats and landed right below me. While the dudes oops customers were running to the bushes to take care of business, the guides were setting up the lunch tables. I just sat there minding my own when the head guide hollered up and invited me down to eat with the clients. I figured he must be crazy letting someone like me that close to his paychecks but I sure appreciated the offer even though I declined.

ppine

Forester
I got pinned under a raft in a bad rapid. The river was at my chin and my friend was holding my life jacket straps. We had the false sense of security of going with a guide. He got out a knife and was just about to punch a hole in the raft tube when he opened the valve instead and left out some air. I was released from the vice between the boat and a rock and got free.

ianscampbell

Yikes...

I had a guide bounce himself out of the raft going through some rapids. He was trying to be a show off through some strong class 4s and flew out of the boat.

One of the adult leaders that we were with (this was in the Boy Scouts) reached back and grabbed him as a reflex and he came back in screaming bloody murder shouting "let go, let go, let go!" Turns out the leader had grabbed him by the groin to pull him back in. Can't imagine it was too pleasant for either party but was hysterical for the rest of us.

Key take away - it doesn't matter how long you've been doing this - take it seriously and respect the power of whatever nature that you're visiting.