What's Your Favorite Backpacking or Camping Recipe?

ianscampbell

There are a lot of fantastic recipes you can find on the web or in cookbooks if you need some inspiration for your camp kitchen but I've found the best ones come from forums like this. What's your favorite backpacking recipe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cappy

I am guessing the reason ya got no responses is the question is too vague. Most of the ole farts on this forum have spent most of their life outdoors. Ask me for a favorite recipe from the many epic meals I have cooked or eaten out side and you will get a blank stare as I struggle to boil the many amazing meals down to a short list much less a favorite.

Grandpa

This ole dart has gone modern. When backpacking, simpler and lighter the better. I didn't come up here for fine cuisine nor to do dishes. But tailgate camping is just the opposite. Black iron and big meals are the only way to go. We even have a cast wok if stir fry and Chinese are on the menu. Right now, one Dutch oven has a big pot roast with onions, carrots, and (what else if you are from Idaho) potatoes. Earlier today a grandson and i just came down from the Sawtooth wilderness backcountry where Mt House was the primary fare.

ppine

Forester
Just finished a week long raft trip in No CA on the Klamath R. We had marinated beef fajitas, chili, pasta salad with mushroom raviolis, dried tomatotes, artichoke hearts and pesto. On layover days bacon and eggs with vegetables and tortillas.

For backpacking next week the food will be totally simple. I like smoked salmon with raw vegetables and tortillas. I will eat little in a foil pouch.

ianscampbell

I am guessing the reason ya got no responses is the question is too vague. Most of the ole farts on this forum have spent most of their life outdoors. Ask me for a favorite recipe from the many epic meals I have cooked or eaten out side and you will get a blank stare as I struggle to boil the many amazing meals down to a short list much less a favorite.
That's a good point, Cappy. I just recently started dehydrating my own backpacking meals so my list is much shorter. I made this breakfast hash for one trip that definitely tops my list (so far)...

ianscampbell

Just finished a week long raft trip in No CA on the Klamath R. We had marinated beef fajitas, chili, pasta salad with mushroom raviolis, dried tomatotes, artichoke hearts and pesto. On layover days bacon and eggs with vegetables and tortillas.

For backpacking next week the food will be totally simple. I like smoked salmon with raw vegetables and tortillas. I will eat little in a foil pouch.
Do you pack in salmon or are you heading somewhere you'll be able to catch it?

ppine

Forester
After a few days in Nevada at 9,800 feet with some wild men, I have some new backpacking favorites. These guys packed in dry ice and fresh food. The chef made ice with the dry ice for drinking bourbon, Then it was smoked trout for appetisers. Spring greens with sauteed prawns and pecans and balsamic glaze. fresh green beans. New York steaks cooked in butter with wine reduction and 10 lobster tails. Then he made chocolate sauce and served it over vanilla ice cream. Unbelievable. I was the second youngest of 7 guys at 66. These were the one percenters, former marathon runners and bike racers. Holy Crap.

Cappy

As far as smoked fish we smoke gar fish and dry shrimp those have been among my typical canoeing fare for years the smoked gar is cut thin seasoned and smoked think of it as fish jerky. Cajuns call dried shrimp Cajun Cashews. They re hydrate well in any dish. Smoked beef as jerky packs well and smoked pork we call tasso.

ppine

Forester
I have been going lighter lately and finally got down to around 25 pounds total weight. After this experience, there is room for a Helinox chair and some fresh food. I am changing my ways. I hate foil pouch food and plan to eat little of it. There has to be joy in backpacking.