Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Package 2

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Package 3

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

jason

fear no beer
I see these all over the place and thought it may be interesting to see it here. I know some may find it foolish but I'll go with it anyway.

You are naked, alone, hungry in the Canadian wilderness. It is September 1st and it looks like you have to make it through the winter. You have three packages of "help" to choose from, you can only pick one package. Which one and why?

Package 1:
A pair of hiking boots with socks
A survival knife
A .357 magnum with 10 rounds
25 water purification tablets

Package 2:
A .22LR rifle with 100 rounds
An Axe
A sleeping bag rated to -10
A backpack

Package 3:
A mountaineering tent
A crossbow with 25 bolts
10 emergency MREs
200' of paracord

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Boy...talk about some unusual choices...!! I opted for #1 because:

My feet would be warm and protected while I was building a shelter, hunting, scavenging, etc.

The knife would enable me (hopefully...we're not in a lake, are we?) to build my shelter,
make a fire, furnish snowshoes, hiking poles, make deadfalls and other types of traps, utensils etc.

The .357 may enable me to harvest some big game for food, clothing and shelter, etc.

The w/'purification' tabs might help me from getting sick if 'bad' water was drunk.

Hikenhunter

I chose # 3 because the tent would provide me with instant shelter until a more permanent and winter friendly one could be constructed. The crossbow would provide me with food in the form of meat and fish, and clothing and since the ammo is reusable I think I would be in a better position to keep providing myself with food and clothing, also the hides of larger game woild help to shelter me for the winter.The mre's would help keep me fed if the food supplies were low and they could also serve as bait to lure game with in bow range. the paracord could serve many uses such as sewing animal skins together for food and shelter, or for use as fishing line attached to the bolt you use for shooting fish. The biggest problems I can see here would be getting a fire started but if one can find flint of some kind the bolts are probably tipped with steel there fore, with some persistance I think I could probably get a fire started and with the proper attention you could then always keep at least some coal smoldering. The other problem I see would be a clean water source but in the Canadian wilderness through the winter you can melt snow and with a fire going you can purify water until it snows.

Last edited:

Grandpa

In this scenario, gotta have that axe and bag. Would love to have the knife and paracord but I can do more with #2 package. Besides, I'd use all ten bullets in the 357 just to hit one grouse. Give me the .22 any day.

ppine

Forester
Number 2 by a mile. A sleeping bag is big. An axe for shelter and fire. 100 rounds instead of 25 or a primitive weapon. You can kill a moose with a couple of head shots and patience. A pack for being portable. The water is clean out there. Make some footwear.

Jason deserves some credit for posting a subject that is thought provoking. It is very interesting to hear why others chose different packages.

The first three items I would chose are probably an axe, sleeping bag, and a .22 rifle given unlimited choices.

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

Number 2 by a mile. A sleeping bag is big. An axe for shelter and fire. 100 rounds instead of 25 or a primitive weapon. You can kill a moose with a couple of head shots and patience. A pack for being portable. The water is clean out there. Make some footwear.
Great minds think alike!!:tinysmile_twink_t2:
That was pretty much what I had in mind also except the backpack and sleeping bag could be cannibalized into some sort of clothing.
An axe and .22 would take care of 90% of everything else needed to survive.
JMO,
DC

Marlowe

Definitely #2. The 22 rifle with 100 rounds is the biggest selling point for me. I could use the extra ammo to signal the rescue team. :) The other things for the same reasons the other guys mentioned. I sure would miss my pocket knife.

campclose

I would go with #2 as well. I hope to never find myself in a situation like this. I can't shoot for crap! I would want a sleeping bag though. I could make shoes out of twigs and leaves!

Lorax

I could do more with Package #2 to up my chances of survival than any other package.
My priorities would be eliminating the threat of hypothermia by building shelter to keep the sleeping bag and myself dry, then worry about food. The .22 could dispatch small game easily and larger game with well placed head shots. The axe would help me skin those after some careful (and long) honing sessions as well as help me build a sturdy shelter. Making a fire using the bow and drill method would be hard to make the initial set up for it with an axe though, but it could be done, once again, a slow and long process.

Interesting poll.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Here's what I figure: There has to be some sadistic son-of-a-jackal offering me these choices. So I'd take number 1, pull the .357, shoot the guy, and then grab the other two packages.

ppine

Forester
Dinosaur,
That is funny, but tragic. We have a culture that associates guns with killing people. That is not good.

Cappy

Well, I aint picking on acounta that no matter what, never in my weirdest dreams would I ever be caught in any of those choices. Short of getting knocked in the head and dumped in the swamp I cant see it happening. It don't pay to think about it, rather figure what ya wold do with what ya got in the world around ya.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Dinosaur,
That is funny, but tragic. We have a culture that associates guns with killing people. That is not good.
You're absolutely correct. So I'd take package #3 and strangle the guy with the paracord. No sense wasting ammo on him.

Taipan

Definitely #2. Had to think about it for a minute, though. For me, the 22 rifle and axe are probably the most valuable tools in all three packages. Interesting and fun puzzle, Jason. How about doing another one for the Everglades? Jul-Sept?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Dino apparently associates outdoor equipment with killing people. Where do these thoughts come from?
Ppine, my friend, your logic escapes me. The situation involves a sadistic madman bent on an attempt to slowly torture me to death while he undoubtedly watches and perhaps even achieves some sick sexual gratification in the process.

My solution has nothing to do with the means to abort his plan, but rather a quick and painless as possible termination of a dangerous societal pariah.